1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erratic Tach At 4k Rpms

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by sportlinecrx, Apr 28, 2003.

1. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

ok..about 2 weeks ago i noticed that my tach was going apeshit betwen 4K - 5K rpm when i am accelerating hard. it doesnt seem to do it as much when i accelerate slowly. i checked the plug gaps and condition. my NGK plugs are only about 2 mo.s old. my OEM plug wires are only about 4 mo.s old..and still fit nice and snug. i have also used alot of fuel injector cleaner stuff thinking it was clogged injectors. i am thinking my distributor is needing a rebuild??? just a wild guess. any suggestions?

also, the car is not running as strong as it did a few weeks ago.

thanks for any suggestions

BTW, this is an 89 crx dx (D15)

2. stud4u2c17

stud4u2c17 Senior Member

hey man sorry i cant reply to u but i have the same problem goin on with mine, i have the 89 CRX hf, so hopefully u find out wut urs is so i can look on here lol ... later bro :)

3. cerx

cerx Junior Member

I had the same problem on my 91 crx. I just replaced the cap and rotor and it Fixed the problem.

4. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

hmmm i'll try that. thanks.

5. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

That fixed it! thanks! :thumbsup: i didnt think it could be my cap and rotor because they were only about 4 months old. damn honda oem crap.

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

hey- watch your mouth :p

7. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

lol

actually, i had used borg & warner caps and rotors before (from pep boys) and they lasted about 4 times longer than that honda one i bought from the dealer. in fact, i never had that erratic tach problem before. i usually just changed my cap and rotor because they had soooo many miles on them.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted