Error ECU Code need help to fix..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nightrider45

summary.. I have a JDM B16 gen 2 OBD1 p30ecu in my 97 civic. I check out my car today for codes, and this is what i got:
#4 Crank Angle Sensor or circuit
#19 Lock-up Control solenoid valve
#21 Vtec spool solenoid valve circuit
#22 Vtec oil pressure switch circuit
#23 Knock sensor

need help fixing my problems but i dont know how to and dont know where to start looking under my hood.

Well, heres a suggestion from me, with all respect here, but get out your test light and start tracing some wires for the 4,21-23. Also verify what ecu you have because if your getting 19, sounds like the wrong ecu for your swap, unless you do have an automatic. But thats just my opinion. I'm going on what you said about your swap and the harness being modified to the ecu. It sounds like, to me, a wiring issue. But again thats just my opinion. -Gary

Ok, the ecu that i have is a p30. when i bought the b16 swap it came with the automatic tranny which i still have in my car but i'm about to switch it to a manual. And if i get a test light where should i start inorder to track my codes? Should i start from the distributor wires or what?

Ok. So we know the p30 is an auto, thats going to need to be modified to manual or replaced with a manual p30. As far as the tracing of the wires, i would say start small, like the vtec solenoid since we all know where that is and what pins it should be. Then, the knock sensor and then the crank sensor. If I'm not mistaken all pin outs for OBD-1 are in the reference material section. I would start there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong in anyway. -Gary

sounds good to me heres a copy of the list your going to need to check the pin outs on the ecu side

SYNOPSIS

This article exploits a combination of ECU pin locations and wire colors for all M/T '92-95 Civic / '92-95 Integra / '92-95 Prelude VTEC and NON-VTEC vehicles.
OBD1 PLUG CONFIGURATION

Below is an example that shows the common onboard male connectors for a Honda OBD1 ECU.
Take note of plugs: A, B, and D.

The 4-plug OBD1 connector image below is proof these do exist and are usually found on JDM AUTO 92-95 Civic, Integra, and Preludes.
Sorry - I do not have pin schematics for the JDM 4-plug OBD1 ecu! Although, connectors A B D should technically be the same pin locations as a 5spd 3-plug OBD1 ECU.

plugs2.jpg

obd1.pin.schematics.gif

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

These pin-out locations were cross-referenced with OBD1 Civic/Integra/Prelude Helm's service manuals.

The information in this article applies to:
  • All US & JDM OBD1 (92-95) M/T civic ecu's
  • All US & JDM OBD1 (92-95) M/T integra ecu's
  • All US & JDM OBD1 (92-95) M/T prelude ecu's

Last edited by a moderator:
where is the knock sensor and crank sensor located at? and is it fixable? and what does code number 19? it says lock up control soenoid valve. how is that fixable and what the hell is that?

Not to sound like a smart-ass here,but to simply answer the lock up problem, thats because this is an automatic ecu, and you have an automatic trans, right? It would be to hook up the ecu pin out to the lock up solenoid, because it sounds like he may not have hooked that up. As far as the crank sensor, if I'm not mistaken, the crank sensor is in the distributor and knock sensor should be on the back of the motor, near the alternator, or oil filter. Mind you I may be wrong here, because I don't have a B-series motor, but if I remember right from reading, those should be the locations. -Gary

ok but what is the lock up? what is that? what does it do to my car? and where the hell is the location for this solenoid

Ok. Well the lock up from my understanding looks like 2 v-tec solenoids on the trans. I'm not exactly sure if the wires tie there or somewhere else. From the manual I downloaded at one point, and mind you this is for a d-series motor, they are located on the front side of the trans, below the distributor. Again keep in mind, this may not be right since its a b16. But as for the explanation of the lock up solenoid, it has to do with the trans and clutches in the trans locking up. Could be one of the many causes why your car doesn't feel really peppy, other than the other problems. Make sense? -Gary

ok i got you, but what do i have to do with it besides to wire it to my ecu, thats if the guy havent did it. but what if it's bad? then what, is that replaceable?

For the 19, check your plug at the 2 solenoids just under the dizzy on the front side of the transmission, i had the same code and it was a bad connection at the plug. You shouldn't drive the car without fixing this code because these solenoids are the ones that lock the 4th gear in. It must be frustrating but take your time and go over each code from the easier to the harder. From what you said, you're new to the under hood world. So do yourself a favor by finding someone that knows what he's doing and learn from him. GL!

thanks for the info.. I have one more code which is number 21.
Vtec spool solenoid valve circuit. what is this? and where is it located?
Sorry for all the hasel guys.

Bro, its not a hassle, atleast for me its not. I troubleshoot tv and internet all day with people who really don't belong having it. haha. But back on topic. It should be A4 on the ecu. Vtec Sensor. Verify the Vtec is hooked up and is getting continuity between A4 and the sensor plug out side. And for the trans lock-up solenoids, it should be replaceable. -Gary

for for the vtec spool solenoid valve circuit. thats the same solenoid as the vtec solenoid under the distributor? If so, then that means code 21 and 22 are almost the same. correct me if i'm wrong please.

Ok kool, i'll see what i can do this week. another thing, when i was testing my car out to see where it redlines at, for some reason it stopped at 7000k. why is that? isnt the p30 ecu redlines at 8200? Or is it doing that because i have all of these codes?

Could be the codes, and possibly the vtec not engaging due to it not getting power, so it ran out at the high end. Did it seem like it had a boost of power getting up that high? -Gary

I really dont know lets just say when i V.S my friends stock Ls, he beat me by like 5 cars. So i know there's something wrong with my car.

I know with my car, when you hit about 4.5-5K even for a SOHC, I feel the vtec kick in. so with your car you should feel it even if its tiny, otherwise it may not be working. As far as the race, yes, somethings wrong. So. -Gary

Back