Ethanol in your gas anyone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

V8 Slut

Does anyone who lives in a state(s) that put ethanol in their gas know of its effects on performance or engine longevity? Is it any better or worse then gas without ethanol added?

only effect I know of is a slight loss in gasmilage.
other than that I know of no bad side effects.

There is usually abot 10% ethanol added to help emissions in some cities, especially up north. It can lean the engine slightly when in open loop ( more ethanol (or methanol) is required for stoichiometric mixture) but this is usually good as stock motors tend to run a bit rich anyway.

Bad thing is ,alcohol absorbs water and can then seperate from the gasoline. Even if it doesn't, the water content can cause corosion. We never store engine's long term with gas/alcohol mix in them.
The fuel suppliers combat these problems with extra corossion inhibitors and other additive to keep it in suspension..

Honda calls for a max of 10% ethenol in gas. Most gas stations will say somewere on the tag how much ethenol is in it, just like it would 93 or what ever.

Iowa is 10% everywhere and I havnt noticed any difference coming from denver a few years ago or on any trips back.......besides the fact that my car is much faster in iowa than it ever was but aside from the o2 level I have had no good or bad and no more or less frequent anything.

Back