ethonal cars...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

22crazy

whats up. i was watching this segment on motortrend or something like that and they were talking about cars that are running on ethonal. what i was curious about was them saying how if u were to translate ethonal into an octane reading...it would be about 110 or something like that. except they said that only certain cars can run on e-85 (the ethonal gas). what i wanted to know is that since these cars are still internal combustion and the octane level is that of 110...what can we do to change our little rice rockets to accept this gas so we can run higher compression?

why?

do you see any Ethonal pumps on the side of the road? Plus I'm sure a gallon is aLOT more than regular unleaded.

Just buy a few gallons of Turbo Blue

Somehow I see this as the new ricer fad

it is what alot of the race cars use. ericks racing new car will be running on ethonal. more hp from that gas. some people also use methanol.

actually they were trying to make it a national thing because alot of cars (example the 2003 mercedes c320 and alot of trucks from gm, ford etc) are switching to e85 cause it burns cleaner... i didnt see this on one of those shows that are about tuning imports and stuff...it was one of those shows where they test news cars.

e-85 is just a reformulated fuel.
it's basically your typical petrol with a bit of denatured alcohol added to it.
something along the lines of 66%petrol/33%alcohol.

I'm not kidding about hydrogen. Do some reading on it online and you'll see what I mean... You can convert ANY internal combustion engine (piston, rotary, turbine) for a few hundred bucks to run on hydrogen. And you can make your own hydrogen at home using sunshine and tap water.

First off, water and sunshine? *sigh*

Hydrogen will never get off the ground when people realize that the power/resources are only consumed at a different level in the cycle of fuel. It will take shat-loads of coal to convert anything into pure hydrogen. So it's really not that great of a thing. (And i'm not really guessing these hydrogen processing plants will run purely on solar power, because that's a freakin pipe-dream)

Secondly, the reason it's called e85 is because it's 85% ethanol.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Aug 28 2003, 07:12 PM

what else is in it persay? last my basic math skills showed that only equals 99% :p

I've heard of a few people in California that have converted their trucks to Hydrogen, burns cleaner, better gas mileage, and they get a tax break too.

yeah I wasn't 100% sure on the ratio of ethyl alcohol to petrol.

another idea would be methyl-ethyl alcohol based feuls

Honda recomends only running tops 10% ethenol gasoline. 90% of gasoline out there right now has 10% ethenol in them to help reduce emissions. One major reason is that it offers no lubericating propertys.

As for the hydrogen coment. It is a load of shit. Hydrogen is a horrible sourse of fuel. Yes Hydrogen in the most abundent element out there but where do you find pure hydrogen? You dont. You have to refine/extract it from other places. Most command way is through electrolis (sp) and using an acid as a catalist. Down side of this. Where are you getting the electricity? Alot of the time it is from burning fossil fuels, which means that your still creating pollution. Is there plus sides to hydrogen? Yes, much safer although everyone says it is like riding with a ticking time bomb, hello, whats gasoline? There are tanks now that you can shoot close range with a hand gun and withstand with basicly no damage, plus when it burns, it does not burn super hot, basicly, you would only get burned if you stood directly in the fire.

have a friend with a propane caddy.it's kinda cool,instant throttle response but the tank weighs a assload

Originally posted by where eagles dare+Aug 27 2005, 08:39 PM-->
@Aug 28 2003, 02:12 PM
[post=152270]Quoted post[/post]​

E85 (as the name suggest) is 85% Ethanol, 15% Gasoline

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/e85.php

where did you get your info?
[post=546175]Quoted post[/post]​

How fucking far back did YOU go to find this? Christ... this is almost two years old to the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back