Ever File Piston Rings?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
I got a set of beck arney pistons rings from auto zone (yea, i;m THAT dumb)

so i put the rings in the cylinder to check em and there is a good 1-2mm overlap...
certain manuals say to check ring gap and file to specified, but this seems a bit too much to just file down, ya know?

called auto zone and they confirmed the part number...

now the other problem is that the oil spacer ring and the oil rings are both too big as well, i could almost lap 2 of the oil spacer rings notches... this can't be normal right??

there is a lil hand table saw looking file that you use for that. i dont think i would trust a hand file for piston rings. but basically you file em down...push em down with the piston and measure. repeat until correct.

Quoted post[/post]]
I got a set of beck arney pistons rings from auto zone (yea, i;m THAT dumb)

so i put the rings in the cylinder to check em and there is a good 1-2mm overlap...
certain manuals say to check ring gap and file to specified, but this seems a bit too much to just file down, ya know?

called auto zone and they confirmed the part number...

now the other problem is that the oil spacer ring and the oil rings are both too big as well, i could almost lap 2 of the oil spacer rings notches... this can't be normal right??
sounds like the wrong rings - shouldn't be overlapping - they should be real close to what they need to be, maybe a few thousandths off - don't try to use them

autozone might have the wrong part #'s. everytime i tried to get a b16 tb gasket, they gave me one for an old prelude(b20a). shit was way off. try another part store maybe and compare. you can always return that shit.

Back