exhaust setup with h22?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

-94-AccordH22

hello. motor is done but now im running a header only . was wonder what would be cheaper and or better. i measured it out and the accord exhaust wont work with the h22 header and downpipe setup. what car do i shop for to get a proper lenght exhuast and that bolts up to the triangle flange on the h22 header?

Quoted post[/post]]
it should work....i have no clue why it doesnt. cat back is all the same.

no it wont work. the h22 downpipe is much longer than the f22. i had the same problem.

here is the fix:
take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut the exhaust off about 1 1/2inches behind the flex pipe and then the cat will fit right in there....if you dont want the cat you can just get the shop to make you a spacer and weld it in. there ya go exhaust prob fixed :)

so cut the 2 inch or so out of the h22 downpipe after flex? . im thinkng ill just get a high flow cat for the prelude and bolt it after the flex than get like 2 1/2 or 3 pipe just to come out the rest. no muffler but i need that cat so i dont burn a valve. it does sound nice running jsut the header and downpipe though.

Quoted post[/post]]
so cut the 2 inch or so out of the h22 downpipe after flex? . im thinkng ill just get a high flow cat for the prelude and bolt it after the flex than get like 2 1/2 or 3 pipe just to come out the rest. no muffler but i need that cat so i dont burn a valve. it does sound nice running jsut the header and downpipe though.
I bought an aftermarket header foro my h22 and the exhaust that I had on before the swap worked with the new header. I did also have a cat converter that bolted on to the downpipe of the header and fit with my cat back exhaust.

Quoted post[/post]]

here is a gay lil diagram

Here is your current problem
FLEXPIPE------------[ ]-----catback exhaust

fix 1 (add a piece for no cat)
FLEXPIPE------------[---]-----catback exhaust

fix2 )cut off exhaust 1inch to 1 and 1/2 inch behind the flexpipe to add a cat)
FLEXPIPE--[catilitic converter]catback exhaust

there wont me much exhaust pipe between the cat and the flex pipe. just measuer it all out and decide whereyou want to cut at.

I bought an Ebay header/downpipe. That bolted directly to my stock cat(92 Accord EX), then ran an Accord 2 1/2 inch stainless catback system. I replaced the muffler with a better designed and quieter one.

Total cost Header $90, cat is stock, catback $230, muffler I wanted $65. I sold the catback muffler for $40.

So, $345, and it was all bolted, stainless, flowed well, and sounded good. I did port out the Cat a bit with a grinder, to save money and add flow.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
it should work....i have no clue why it doesnt. cat back is all the same.

no it wont work. the h22 downpipe is much longer than the f22. i had the same problem.

here is the fix:
take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut the exhaust off about 1 1/2inches behind the flex pipe and then the cat will fit right in there....if you dont want the cat you can just get the shop to make you a spacer and weld it in. there ya go exhaust prob fixed :)

:werd: Thats what I did. My exhaust shop welded on new flanges, cut a chunk out of the pipe after the cat, bolted that baby right up.

im just going to custom mine straight pipe after cat and maybe later throw on a nice muffler. but uhh whats a good diameter pipe for the back half?

also if i shop for hi flow cats under h22 or prelude then it will bolt up to the 3 bolt downpipe flange and NOT the 2 bolt accord downpipe flange?

2 1/2 inch worked well for me, unless you have turbo plans for the future.

I believe one side of the cat was two bolt, and the other side three, but I'm going off of memory. At any rate, a Prelude header bolted up to the Accord cat.

nice. ok for now then until i can afford my sp2 or ws2 catback im just going to do a hi flow cat and 2 1/2 side exit.

what material should i use?

whatever you want, but I prefer stainless, and mandrel bends will increase your flow quite a bit. Ebay is so much cheaper, I can't see going somewhere else for a cat-back unless it's a very short run. I bought my system for the piping, not for the restrictive N1 muffler, or fireball, or whatever they called it. The mufflers are shit. Most mufflers that you see don't flow well at all. You want a 2.5" inlet, 2.5" outlet, straight through design, with no louvers. The muffler I chose was made by Vibrant. I also found it on Ebay, but just by luck and a lot of looking.

so i can buy some cheap a** cat back with stainless and just run my own and rip off muffler and sell.
thats what ill do then

thanks everyone for helpin get my first engine swap (hell) done with. im probably going to put some videos on youtube or streetfire or whatever if you guys wanna see the results.

Quoted post[/post]]
so i can buy some cheap a** cat back with stainless and just run my own and rip off muffler and sell.
thats what ill do then

thanks everyone for helpin get my first engine swap (hell) done with. im probably going to put some videos on youtube or streetfire or whatever if you guys wanna see the results.

dont mean to thread jack but if i have stock size piping and im upgrading my header that has 2.25 outlet will i run into any issues bolting it on? will i havta take it to a shop or can i just do it my self? asking b/c new motor has new headers but piping is stock and i dont wanna put the oem headers back on the car take to a shop and have them fix it

You shouldn't have to take it to a shop. If the sizing is not the same, you'll just bottleneck the exhaust flow a little at the cat, but the bolt pattern has nothing to do with it.

the bottle necking is bad though isnt it? i guess if that ends up being the situation then i will take to a exhaust shop soon after to get bigger pipe. see i had the pipe replaced once and told them to go 2.25 but i dont think they did. lose power with bottle necking?

Your stock catalytic converter is the bottleneck, but that can be changed out at a later date.

Back