"F" series tranny on a H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TeamUrbanChaos

Certified H22 Super-tech
will a "F" series tranny fit on an H22.. i hear that the trannys are the same and are interchangable but i wanna make sure...someone please let me know. :doh:

It will definitely work, and I know why I used my F series tranny. However, It's a lot easier to just wait and install the tranny of your choice when you have the money, rather than install it later. I was too broke at the time, and it was my only vehicle in running condition. The engine was knocking, and needed replacement. Enter $$$$ H22.
Since then, I have picked up the right tranny, and plan to install somewhat soon. The long geared F22 Automatic is not optimal for use with the H22. However, it has held up to over a year of abuse. :)

well im plannin on buying a h22 sometime down the road but my funds are kinda low and i kno im not going to be able to do a full motor swap all at once so im gonna have to do it piece by piece but it think it would save me money by jsut using my (5 speed) stock f22 tranny........ but.... why did u guys ask me why i wanted to use my stock f22 tranny .... is there something different about the h22 tranny that makes it better?? :doh:

:werd:
HOWEVER, if you plan to boost in the future, the gearing of the F22 tranny would be more optimal for that. Boost likes long gearing. Your F22 5 spd will rip just fine. Save your money unless you get a really good deal on an H22A tranny. On a budget the F22 tranny is fine.
My only point is that it's easier/cheaper to wait another month to swap, rather than to pay extra or go through the trouble later.

the F22 Tranny would be great for boost and a straight line.
but 3rd and especially 4th are stretched a little to far with the 4.06FD
so for and Road coarse duty you would find that you would really want some shorter gearing.

lots of boost + F22 Gear ratios with 4.266FD would be nice.

heres some numbers for the F22 and H22A1

figured with 225 45 16 - 23.9"od - 8000rpm

F22 tranny
1st 3.307 - 42.4mph @8000rpm
2nd 1.81 - 77.4
3rd 1.23 - 113.9
4th .903 - 155.2
5th .705 - 198.7
5th 236mph at 9500RPM would make great salt flat tranny
65mph just over 2600rpm

H22A1
1st 3.307 - 40.3mph @8000
2nd 1.95 - 68.4
3rd 1.36 - 98.0
4th 1.071 -124.5
5th .87 - 153.3
65mph 3400rpm

Speaking of F and H trannies, I have the opportunity to get an H23 engine to install in my 96 'lude with an F22. The H23 has an auto. Will that engine mate to the 5 speed F22 tranny currently in place?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

yes it will. You will need to put your flywheel on the H23. All F and H series engines and trannies bolt up(except the S2000 stuff.)

wow...i didnt know you can do that. will it work with 91 lx 5spd tranny? so all i gotta do is buy the engine?

Yes it will bolt up.

just remember the Ratios arnt that good if your only putting out 200 or less HP.

Pretty quick. First gear is hindered the most. Once in VTEC, if you stay there, it scoots right along. The engine really shines when you are already moving and need to accelerate.

you the man tab. it should still pull pretty good in the EG, especially with the work done to it. i think ima end up dead. lol. thanks for the info. but you dont happen to know if i can change the internals from the H into the F housing? i have both but the H housing had the bracketry for the mount break. sorry to thread jack.

I think the housings are the same, but I don't know for sure. The housing for the tranny mount broke?

Is it weldable? I good welding shop could probably weld up cracks and stuff.

Man this thread is old, I found it in the 90 days and older category, LOL.

Back