factory LSD on a Y21?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I'm a little bit affraid that I got screwed (in which case I'll be on the phone this afternoon with the place I got my engine from)

I paid extra when I got my swap for a factory LSD tranny

the label on my tranny says Y21 which in my searching never had an LSD option from the factory

I'm going over to the shop after work and my mechanic should be able to tell me for sure if there is a LSD in there or not

does anyone know any more about this
am I wrong in saying that the Y21 never had an LSD option?

i have a y21 with lsd. look through the differential housing. if you can see all the way though without any obstruction, its lsd equipped. if you see a bar going across the hole, no lsd

the differential housing is right where the axles connect, right?
I looked at that yesterday and couldn't see right through it, but it didn't look like there was a bar in the middle either

am I right about spinning the axles though?

where did you get your engine from?

thanks for the reply

1) keep us posted on the situation

2) if they DID fuck you on purpose, and it wasnt some gross error....post a "do not buy from" thread on here...

Originally posted by seanjuan@Jul 23 2003, 12:42 PM
the differential housing is right where the axles connect, right?
I looked at that yesterday and couldn't see right through it, but it didn't look like there was a bar in the middle either

am I right about spinning the axles though?

where did you get your engine from?

thanks for the reply

yes its where the axles are inserted. get a flashlight and shine it through.

the axles should spin in the same direction, but they would also do this if the spider gears are welded.

i got my engine and lsd tranny from www.hmotorsonline.com.

if it has a LSD in it then I should be able to see right through the diff case?
or be able to pass a screwdriver through it unobstructed?

thanks

well if you can see through it, you can pass a screwdriver through it. if you see a bar going across then you don't have an lsd equipped tranny.

i wonder if there is somewhere that has pics of diff cases so that I could compare
because it seamed like there was something in the way, but it didnt' just look like a bar . I guess I should have looked closer

thanks

you cant tell by looking at the outside of the housing. if theres anything else besides a bar, either theres somethign shoved in there, or its and aftermarket differential.

Yup. Just to add another bit of input... I have a Y21 with an OEM LSD also.

the reason I couldn't see through it is because the axle on the driver side was allready in and I didn't bother to look from that side. I checked it out last night though and it is all good, there is no bar in the center. I am very relieved

My mechanic is being a slowass though, tomorrow will be the two week mark and I did all the harness swapping work. he didn't even get the old engine out untill last friday, I swapped the harnesses on monday the B went in on wednesday, but now it is just sitting there waiting for him to do the finishing touches
axles,AC (I don't use it that much but it's nice to have sometimes), and he's going to make a custom bracket for the the throtle cable so that I don't have to buy a new one

I just hope he gets it done by friday cause I can't focus on anything right now, I'm just thinking about my car and how much I want to drive it

Back