Feedbback On My Ls/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tnsxsear

K peeps, im finally in the assembly stage on my second Ls/Vtec motor. I just wants some feedback as to what else everyone thinks i should do, and what kind of numbrs i should be putting down.. Here is what I have so far..

00 Civic Si Head with ITR valvetrain and CTR camshafts and ITR Throttlebody (stock intake mani) :(
99 Integra Ls Block with new Gsr Oil Pump/Water Pump, Ls Rods with ITR Pistons, New ARP rodbolts
00 Civic SI Tranny w/ Clutchmasters Stage 3
Chikara Header :D
Apex-I N1 catback
All in a 98 Ek Hatchback. With obd2 p72 and an Apex-I VAFC. Im hoping for atleast 185hp, but I was really dissapointed with my old motor which only put 142 to the wheels, minus all the ITR and CTR goodies. Thanks for feedback.. -Paul

how did you fit itr pistons on ls rods? did you shave the rods??

intake?

high-flow cat?

arp headstuds?

z10 block girdle?

ear plugs for yourself once you start driving with an N1

i think the p73 pistons and the LS rods work together... c-speedracing did an LS/VTEC build up where they used that combo and netted around 11:1

according to our FAQ by lsvtec, they don't fit.
only ctr/b16 will fit an LS rod with out modification

Intake: Regular 'ol AEMan HKS filter

Highflow cat: No, just 2 1/4 piping straightt through to n1

Arp Headstuds: Yes

z10 girdle: no, but i have a gsr crank girdle,windage tray and main caps, but im missing the pickup and pan...

Ear Plugs: Yes :lol:

As for the pistons and rods, I just got the pistons pressed onto the rods when i did my first motor, and it worked well...-Paul

So what else do you all recommend I should do? Performance and reliability wise? Thanx in advance for all your help.. -Paul

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Apr 15 2003, 06:31 AM
i saw that.. but i was wondering if it is 100% accurate.

To the best of my experience it is accurate. I bought ITR pistons from the Acura dealer in Boulder, CO with the intent of using them in my LSVTEC. When I took my LS rods/pistons and the ITR pistons to the machine shop they called me an hour later and told me the pistons wouldn't fit without them shaving the rods down. I took my B16 pistons in with me to double check and the rod was too large to fit in the piston. CTR/B16 pistons will fit as the top of the rods in these engines are the same size as LS rods, but 94+GSR/ITR rods are thinner.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Apr 15 2003, 12:10 PM-->
pills_PMD
@Apr 15 2003, 06:31 AM
i saw that.. but i was wondering if it is 100% accurate.

To the best of my experience it is accurate. I bought ITR pistons from the Acura dealer in Boulder, CO with the intent of using them in my LSVTEC. When I took my LS rods/pistons and the ITR pistons to the machine shop they called me an hour later and told me the pistons wouldn't fit without them shaving the rods down. I took my B16 pistons in with me to double check and the rod was too large to fit in the piston. CTR/B16 pistons will fit as the top of the rods in these engines are the same size as LS rods, but 94+GSR/ITR rods are thinner.

Hmm, Ill have to look more into it, cuz I know several people who have used ITR pistons on ls rods. And when i took in mine to get done, I took them some used LS rods and new ITR p73-ao pistons, and picked them up the next day with no problems.And they have worked fine ever since.But ill look into it..-Paul

i dont think you can put any Vtec pistons on ls rods. i found that out the hard way. but i bought some aftermarket high compressions pistons and it worked out. also after a while the N-1 sounds like a lawnmower

Originally posted by lsvtec hatch93@Apr 15 2003, 02:18 PM
i dont think you can put any Vtec pistons on ls rods. i found that out the hard way. but i bought some aftermarket high compressions pistons and it worked out. also after a while the N-1 sounds like a lawnmower

It can be done, I had them on my first motor. I cant believe some of the ls/vtec people havent heard of this, Ill get pics for you guys so that you all can see what i have....-paul

Did the rods change from B18A to B18B? Because my rods are out of a B18A. I am operating under the assumption (and it could be bogus) that the rods in the B18B are the same as the B18A. B16A pistons fit my LS rods fine.

hmm not sure, but change of plans, I am now selling the ls rods with the type-r pistons already mated on them with only like 4k miles, I just got some JE 11.5:1 pistons that I got from a car I worked on... yummy 11.5:1 ls/vtec
One more question, is 11.5 still good on pump gas, with ocassional shots of nitrous at the track...Ive never gone past 11:1 -paul

I run 11.5:1 on 91 octane with no problems. I do not use Nitrous.

i stated this in another thread.
to get the ITR pistons to fit LS rods. mill 0.7mm to 1mm off both ends of the small end of the ls rods.

Back