1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fiberglassing a dash

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by webink_EK9, Jan 29, 2004.

1. webink_EK9

webink_EK9 Senior Member

Has anyone ever fiberglassed their dash? I'm thinking about doing this and painting it to match my car. I know I'd have to remove the passanger side air bag (99 HB). I can reroute all the air vents under the dash. Are there any considerations besides the general ones I'd need to take into account before starting? I have already removed and relocated the climate controls and other switches in the center of the dash. I am not planning on having a sound system.
    Anyone know about airbag laws? I'm also changing steering wheels... so I guess the airbag thing is going to be a problem if there is a law about it.

thanks guys

2. 2fastaccord

2fastaccord Senior Member

You cannot remove your airbag. It is illegal to remove any device that the manufacturer placed in the automobile as a "safety feature"

Peace*

3. bigdaddyIII

bigdaddyIII Senior Member

sure you can. just make it look good so the pigs dont question it. you can do any damn thing you want. but getting caught is another story.

4. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

I don't think it would pass inspection, I think most if not all cars after 1990 had to have airbags. Go to someone you know or are friends with that own or work at an inspection center. If your in PA, just go to one of those crackheads who pass you without doing shit...(A known one in NE PA-Danny at Danny's Automotive Repair)

5. Hatchbacks Anonymous

Hatchbacks Anonymous Senior Member

Fiberglass dash??? :wtf:

I would just paint the stock pieces. Fiberglass goes on the outside of the car.

6. webink_EK9

webink_EK9 Senior Member

fiberglassing will take out the texture of the dash, then I'll paint it a flat dark grey. I have never had a car inspected before. I live in Illinois...do we do that here? Or do they do that when you're getting your exhaust checked? I got a notice to do that, but my motor was broke so I wrote them and told them. I haven't seen anything else from them. My civic is the only car I've keep for 5 years and I've never owned a used or older car.

Is there a bypass for removing the air bags? Or do you just disable the warning light from the dash? Will the car start with them removed? Wow...things I've never thought of.

7. webink_EK9

webink_EK9 Senior Member

8. zueke

zueke Senior Member

If it is like my Del Sol, then you should have a fuse for your airbags in the fuse box under the dash. remove that and see what happens. just be careful cause you don't want your airbags deploying whatever you do.

To answer the other question, yes you can remove the light in the guage cluster and no it won't stop either the airbags from working. It is just a simple light.

9. webink_EK9

webink_EK9 Senior Member

thanks man. I may just remove the pass side bag and I'm changing my steering wheel. Thanks!

10. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

prep it with some rubbing acholol(sp?) and lay the fiberglass on cut it to fit, spread the resin on wait for it to dry then, cut all the nasty edges, fix mess ups, and then lightly sand it and clean with acetone. then apply a thin coat of bondo. once dry sand smooth and paint with any paint you want.

11. webink_EK9

webink_EK9 Senior Member

bondo over the fiberglass...why? not that I'm questioning you, I just want to learn.

12. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

to smooth it out.... fiberglass will have a texture... bondo allows it to be completly smooth

13. Tokay

Tokay Member

14. webink_EK9

webink_EK9 Senior Member

Holy JESUS! And how much would you charge me to do this? This should be an article! There's no way I'm going to give that a shot. Let me know what you whould charge. That is some freaking awesome info! Thanks man!

15. vtecsir1

vtecsir1 Senior Member

dont do this fiberglass thing please unless your dead set on it.

the airbag thing im not totally sure about but i know they changed laws for it thats why there is a key hole on newer cars and trucks to turn the airbag off. check with your local laws it may be different.

16. truent

truent Junior Member

got any pics of the finished product?

17. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

no hes is very wrong the strenght of fiberglass come from the glass not the resin and use a 2x2 weave of 1.5 oz glass and it will lay down very nice.

18. 98civicsedan

98civicsedan Member

You don't need strength when all you are doing is covering your dash to make it match your paint. I build subwoofer enclosures all the time with old sweatshirts and the like and I've never had any problems. If you were building a boat then I would say spend the money and buy the woven fiberglass.

AND

The grill cloth is just a covering, if you are using Kitty Hair or some other resin/fiberglass mix you've already got the fiberglass.

19. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

fiber glass is 2 bucks a yard at a marine shop it cheaper tyhan rags and cloth plus gives a better finished product

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted