1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fidanza flywheels?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by rockenroller6, Dec 18, 2008.

1. rockenroller6

rockenroller6 New Member

I'm going to be replacing my clutch soon, and I figured I might as well replace my oe flywheel for something lighter. I'm leaning toward the Aluminum flywheels from Fidanza. Does anyone have any experience with their flywheels? I can snatch one for $140.00 shipped.

2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

not yet but im about to get one myself, ive heard nothing but good about them

3. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

i had one for years, no problems... they are good stuff

4. t3t4delsol

t3t4delsol New Member

I have a 8.5 lb. If you drive in traffic a lot I wouldn't recommend going that low in weight, it gets very touchy, however adding a lightweight is like driving a completely different car.

5. 92tegGP

92tegGP The Slut

i had one in my integra and i loved it, get it!

6. rockenroller6

rockenroller6 New Member

Awesome, I believe for that price it can't be beat.

7. serrilion

serrilion In my own little world! VIP

They are very very hard to beat for the price, like t3t4 said, trafic can be a fun spot haha, also u will noticed a ZOMG exprence from it :)

8. George777

George777 ^^ Likes Bewbies

9. lswhitecivic

lswhitecivic Senior Member

I've had one for a few years in my civic and have mostly had a good experience with it. The only problems...although their not really problems...is that first off your engine will start decelerating much faster if you're driving and let off the gas. So its just a matter of trying to be as consistent on the gas peddle as possible when you're going at at constant speed. Otherwise you will get a nice little jolt each time you let off the gas.

The other thing I have to watch out for is rough road like right after I start moving at a red light or something. For example, right by my house there is a red light with train tracks right past where you stop, so you're still in first gear when you go over them. They're not nice and flat, they're pretty bumpy and so I have to pretty much let off the gas when I go over them or run the risk of accidentally pumping the gas peddle and make the car start bucking.

Overall I'm very happy with it, and would buy it again, just a couple little driving quarks when you have one.

10. 94H_Ex

94H_Ex Under employed

I own one as well, I have the 8.5 with a stage 2 ACT clutch, and it is like driving a completely different car. I love it. I think I got mine for about 140 as well.

11. autox 89 dx

autox 89 dx Member

I'm rollin a 7 lbs Fidanza with a Exedy stage 1 clutch very responsive it does make it feel like a totally diffrent car +1

12. hondasaurus

hondasaurus Member

i would just have someplace grind down your stock flywheel to lighten it, or buy one from a place where you return the core and they sell you lightened stock ones. aluminum isn't as strong in the long run.
    got a 1/3 lighter flywheel (stock one lightened) on a turbo dsm, hated it for cruising. awesome for rev matching and maybe better speed and throttle response. after i got it i could chirp the wheels at the top of 1st.
    how do you drive?
    sux in traffic, having to shift fast or extra gas before every shift.
    go try to drive/ride in one w/ a lightened flywheel first. i didn't like it. maybe going 1/4 or 1/5 lighter.
    put ur car in neutral, hit the gas, now imagine it dropping faster. you typically shift low or high in rpm band?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  13. rockenroller6

rockenroller6 New Member

Na, stock always sucks! Go big or go home! J/k, anyways I'm going to be paring it with and Exedy stage 1. My cousin had a 91 CRX with a mini me swap turbo, he had an aluminum flywheel and ACT stage 2 clutch kit. I find it to be an interesting drive! Keeps others from driving your car! I do see what your saying hondasaurus, it does come to be a pain though.

14. hondasaurus

hondasaurus Member

i think i had mine w/ an ACT stage 2 clutch..
    going big w/ a 99 civ ex? ;)
    what % lighter will your new one be?

15. 91_civic_si

91_civic_si New Member

I got a 12lb ACT flywheel and love it.

16. hondasaurus

hondasaurus Member

what was your stock flywheel weight? 18?
    light flywheels fun when racing around.

i lightened mine when my clutch burnt out in a huge car-enveloping puff of blue/white smoke going uphill on a 45 degree hill. smelled like fish oil, ick. had to roll down it backwards til cop showed up few minutes later. then my friend pulled up in his impreza (2.2) and wanted to race while mine was on the tow truck, errr. he liked to race in rain/snow too w/ his awd, err.
    then 9/11 happened when my road race engineering parts were en route and dealer got made at the shipping delay.
    wow you're palin's neighbor.

17. 91_civic_si

91_civic_si New Member

Stock b16 flywheel was 18lbs, I decided in the middle with the 12lb. 7 is just too light for a street car. Yeah, Palins house is a few miles from mine so I guess she is my neighbor (who cares).

18. hondasaurus

hondasaurus Member

1/3 dang.
    no one cares, just odd to have never heard of it, then along comes palin and along comes you. co-in-ki-dink

19. BoostedHatch

BoostedHatch get tha fuck out!

they both decelerate equally just about, if u take ur foot off the gas in a manual either way its going to slow down fairly quickly without touching the brakes no matter what..
    either way lighter flywheel or not the bucking has nothing to do with the flywheel,it has to do with ur foot tapping the gas back to back, sorry but u fail.

20. rockenroller6

rockenroller6 New Member

Stock flywheels weigh, what, around 18lbs? The aluminum ways 11lbs. Deference in 7lbs total weight. Also what about balance issues? Do they come from the factory pre-balanced, or is it a good idea to have it balanced just to be sure? One other thing, I know most aluminum flywheels have a steal friction ring, has anyone noticed it wearing prematurely? Correction 7lbs, but I would agree on around 8lbs. So 10lb difference.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted