Final Drive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

I know that Final Drives are supposed to increase acceleration while lowering the top speed of a vehicle, but is it the higher final drive the more acceleration or the lower final drive the more acceleration?

u ever play GT2 or 3? and how if u get a full customization tranny/lsd? well that game is supposed to be as close as the real thing as possible. but the lower the nbr the faster accel, and the higher the nbr the more top end youll get. and im not just saying that because its in a game but from actually research and rebuilding of tranny

viperlocc: i think you are confused.

typically, for the best acceleration you want to be at the top of 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile. at least this is what several fo my friends who drag race competively say is the best for honda b-series setups.

the higher the final drive ie 4.7 gives the motor better mechanical advantage over 4.4 final drive. while this is almost always good when using bigger wheels/tires this can also work against the driver if the setup has too much torque. then there will be wheelspin and too much mechanical advantage.

heres some comparisons for you:
same trannys different final drives

Integra Type R U.S. spec & Civic Si (stock 4.400 final drive)
.........RPM........ Gear........ Final........ Km/h........ Mile/h
5th... 8,000..... 0.8480..... 4.4000.... 236.31..... 146.87

Integra Type R U.S. spec & Civic Si with ATS 4.929 final drive
.........RPM........ Gear........ Final........ Km/h........ Mile/h
5th... 8,000..... 0.8480..... 4.9290.... 210.95..... 131.10

(information from ATS USA, inc )

Back