Finally getting around to building my downpipe...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slo86GT

Super Moderator
Well, I got all the bends and flanges together, and I finally persuaded Alan to start helping me mock up the downpipe. This turned out to be quite the task. ED chassis cars were NOT meant to be turbo'd, and DEFINITELY not meant to have 3" downpipes of any sort.

You can see all the tight radius bends we had to use on this thing... JEEZ!

This WAS a 3" radius 3" piping donut that I picked up from http://www.roadraceengineering.com , it's a really nice little piece of metal, too bad we had to go and cut it up so much. :p For smoother flow out of the exhaust housing, and to help fitment of bolts and stuff to the turbine housing, we used a very short length transition to go from a 2.5" housing outlet up to the 3" piping for the downpipe for minimum backpressure in the system. Hopefully with this setup, the flow characteristics will allow for a great exhaust evacuation setup.

We're about 50% there as these pics were taken tonight. We've still got a little work to do with the oil return line, and the closed loop wastegate I want to use. It's getting there...

PS, there's about 3/8th of an inch between the Jimfab bars and the lower bend in these pics... We "cheated" VERY slightly, and offset the bend at the top by about 1/32 and pushed the flange up as high as it would go to keep things spaced as much as possible. I hate the ED chassis sometimes. :angry:

fb628066.jpg

fb628069.jpg

werd y0!

you could always swap the turbo around, and route some piping up to the IC fron the other side... might've been easier...

Hmm. Makes me want to turbo Katie's sedan when she finally gets around to buying a new car. Super d00per sleeper there!

:lol:

Back