Finished Swapping, Now It Won't Stay Running

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fyrfytr255

I just got done replacing my F22B1 VTEC with a similar engine in my 94 Accord EX. I replaced only the engine (w/ intake & exhaust manifolds, throttle body, & fuel rail/regulator/injectors), leaving the stock auto tranny and components (alternator, radiator, PS pump, etc.) I had previously in the car. Now that I have everything wired up, I got it running for about 10 minutes and it stalled. It sounded as if something choked the engine out, i.e. water in the fuel, bad vacuum. Since then I haven't been able to get it running again. Every time I try to crank the car up, the engine's turning over, but it just doesn't seem to have the oomph to get it going. I've checked the ignition system, fuel system, and vacuum lines and all seem to check out o.k.
I have a 94 Accord 4dr EX w/ auto tranny, and the engine I got is from a 95 Accord 2dr EX w/ 5-spd. I noticed that my old engine altogether had three more vacuum lines than the new one, so I figured it was for the auto trans. I hooked them up like they were originally. Now my new engine was sitting in a covered 'barn' for a good six months outside of the car, but all electrical connections and stuff were protected from the elements.
I think this is all the info you guys might need to give me a little help or if this happened to you, how you corrected it. Thanks.

Well shit, I'm sure someone else can give you a more technical answer, but I say for now, take it back to the basics. A car only need so many things to run, no matter how crappy. Intake, Compression, Fire, Exhaust. I'd probably rule out compression and exhaust unless you have a reason to think otherwise. Pull a spark plug and see if that puppy is covered/smelling of gas. If it is, you have a spark issue. If it's bone dry, you have an intake/fuel issue. From there, you can start breaking it down. I would guess a spark problem, from what I've seen, hondas have distributor problems time to time. Plus your engine sat for how long? I'd try to get a buddy with a similar setup to take the time and swap parts until you find the problem. Good ol' elimination is better than termination. Good Luck.

Have you actually checked for a spark on all 4 cylinders? If it was sitting for that long, you could have problems in the distributor. Did you replace any of the distro parts when you swapped it?

Back