Fire at UPS sorting center in Illinois

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

Hope no one here had packages routed through that center. Full story here.

Trailers Go Up In Flames At Loading Docks

HODGKINS, Ill. -- Fire investigators said it is still unclear what started a fire at a UPS shipping hub in Hodgkins, which damaged seven trailers early Thursday.

Although two of the seven trailers were empty, the other five contained about 2,000 packages, reported WMAQ-TV in Chicago.

"A box came down the ramp into the truck on fire," said UPS worker Calvin Kershaw. "One thing led to another, and the next thing you know, there was a mass exodus."

If ups damages the package, i.e. burns it, they have to cover the items lost

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 16 2004, 07:31 PM
if ups damages the pacake ie burns it the have to cover the items

What?

HAa but that is funny, what a Christmas some people are going to have

LOL @ the thought of a flaming package...an innocent box just flaming away as it glides smoothly down the conveyor belt.....UPS, we deliver packages so fast, they catch fire :lol:

UPS made 7 billion in profit last your. im sure everyone will be paid back..

i know this because i am a new employee of FedEx which only made 330 million in profit

Originally posted by nfn15037@Dec 16 2004, 11:01 PM
UPS, we deliver packages so fast, they catch fire :lol:
[post=433460]Quoted post[/post]​

Best slogan ever.

I used to work in that facility and I can guarantee that a package just didn't come down the belt on fire. :huh: Someone was smoking in a trailer like that always do and probably dropped their cigarrette and/or blunt. :p

There was supposedly alot of panic in the whole building, but the building is absolutely huge... 2.2 MILLION square feet. Back when I worked there all the space wasn't utilized yet... You could look down the building at one end to the other, and the ceiling and floor would meet... There was a horizon inside the building. :blink: The building had to be specially constructed to go along with the curvature of the Earth. Seven trailers on fire pose no hazard to the whole place. You probably wouldn't even smell anything on the opposite side.

Originally posted by DarkHand@Dec 22 2004, 12:28 AM
but the building is absolutely huge... 2.2 MILLION square feet.

... and the ceiling and floor would meet... There was a horizon inside the building. :blink: The building had to be specially constructed to go along with the curvature of the Earth.
[post=435709]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow. Just wow. That is so cool! And are you still with UPS?

Back