First time autocrossing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5genracer

Hey everyone, this Saturday there is an autocross event in my city. I have never done this sort of thing before, so can any autocross veterans out there give me some pointers? I think it is being put on by SCCA, so I will have to follow their rules.

Setup:
98 dx hatch
d16y8 & 00 EX trans
195/60R14 azenis sports
lowered a little on Apex World sports
NEW front pads with a brake flush :p

I just aligned my car today, and I set the toe to man. specs, but my camber is about 2-2.5 degrees neg. Is there any alignment settings that you use? I have access to a brand new alignment machine at work, so I can adjust for free all day.

Thanks!

Neg camber is good. I'm not sure exactly what class you're going to be in, but its probably going to be in SM which is going to make wish you hadn't just put $15000 in to your civic......well thats what happened to me. Anyway, SM is going to be your class unless they don't notice the motor and tranny swap.
Driving pointers...turn early and slower is better than too fast. Have fun!

its not too much of a bump... but if someone notices you have a VTEC motor in a hatchie that doesnt come with anything but a d15... heh. youll be bumped to SM.

have fun :) and beat the living piss out of your car. dont worry about what everone else is running, just improve your own times. im just passing down from what everone else told me.

since your a begginer, and you still have a basicly stock engine (still a d-series, with no internals) I am sure no one will complain if you just run in STS. Your still going to get murdered, but it won't be as frusterating.

Get a good tire gauge. Check pressure often (changes alot when the tires get hot)

Bump up your tire pressure (on my s03's I ran at around 39psi, and when I get my azenies, I will be running them at around 41ish on an autocross course)

Bring Sun screen and water

Pay attention, if your not working or running in the first heat, watch the other cars, and try to take mental notes of what the faster cars are doing

Arive early, walk the course SEVERAL TIMES, then walk again on the Novise walk.

Clean out your car. You have to take out your floor mats.

For better seating, set the distance (sliders) to what you want, then recline the seat as much as possible. Then buckle up, and give it a few tugs until it clicks and wont retract anymore. Then, pull on the steering wheel, and bring the seat back up again, so you'll have a very snug fit and you won't slide around.

When your driving, stay in control, and try and make your line as smooth as possible. Look farther ahead, instead of right at your hood.

Have fun

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 9 2004, 06:21 AM

When your driving, stay in control, and try and make your line as smooth as possible. Look farther ahead, instead of right at your hood.

Have fun

Definitely pay attention to what's ahead, you don't want to be coming out of corners too slow, or too fast for the next portion of track.

Smooth is fast.

walking the course is by far the best advice. nothing worse than screwing up early and going on the wrong side of the cones.

that was embarassing last year.... :ph34r:

Originally posted by Prowler@Jul 9 2004, 09:44 AM
walking the course is by far the best advice. nothing worse than screwing up early and going on the wrong side of the cones.

that was embarassing last year.... :ph34r:

IMO, relax and don't worry about tire pressure, shock settings, or any car shit. Prep the car the night before, bring a tire gauge if you must, but concern yourself with YOU not the car or what everyone else is doing. Bring sunscreen and a nice had and maybe long sleeves if its not too hot. Otherwise, go out and enjoy it and have a good time! If you go off course, relax and find your way back on, just don't do anything dangerous or stupid and you should be OK.

Yeah, I was thinking about seting my tire pressure a little higher, but I think I am going to just go out there and drive. I know I won't be very fast, but who cares, it will be fun.

Don't pull the ebrake thinking it's faster. It's not, and you'll be laughed at or asked to leave. I actually threw a guy out of an event one time for doing that shit coming around the last turn towards the $5000 timing equipment. "I can't help it, my car oversteers!" was his defense. Oh yeah? Then why are both your rear wheels locking up whenever you enter a turn. :)

Just go out, don't worry about ANYTHING, and have fun. First time out, you're not going to get FTD, so don't worry about being competative or what class you're in. Like Matt said, worry about YOU. :)

All that, but don't run the first heat. Try to be able to watch or work the first run. That way you can see the mistakes of other racers and if people are DNFing at the same place, keep that spot clear in your mind. Also running after the first heat helps a little with getting loose dirt and rocks off the pavement.

bring the gauge to adjust pressures, the shit will rise a lot on a hot day with a lot of track time., I've set tires at starting at 28psi and after 20 minutes down here in south florida have seen them in the middle 40's.

Bring lots of WATER!!!!, a chair and try to get to a shady spot or bring some type of cover overyourself.

Just got back. FUN FUN FUN. This is way more fun than drag racing.
Anyway, I didn't do so bad, beat a srt-4 and was 2 secs. slower than an s2000. Anyway, I appreciate your suggestions, and I am going to go again soon!

Originally posted by 5genracer@Jul 10 2004, 05:33 PM
Just got back. FUN FUN FUN. This is way more fun than drag racing.
Anyway, I didn't do so bad, beat a srt-4 and was 2 secs. slower than an s2000. Anyway, I appreciate your suggestions, and I am going to go again soon!

werd.

You'll find that it is much cheaper to have a good time at autoX's then at road racing. Even in a dead stock, 18 second Civic CX, an auto cross will still be fun.

lol, since i used to have basicly that same engine, the quarter passes defently felt like 18 seconds. Thats the reason I went to autoX ;)

autoX is lots of fun, I find road racing a little more fun.......but i have an issue with something called cash and people get tired of "hey, can I take your ride for a spin"

Back