Fixing my transmission grind

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMPlaya

What's up

My engine is a D16z6 and my 3rd gear synchro is terrible, Does anyone know how much It might cost to get this fixed? My car has 125,XXX miles on it.. Would I be better of getting another transmission? If so which would you suggest, I'm going to be going turbo but not for a few months..

Thanks !

get an HF tranny if u wanna boost, they got super long gears. i think the final drive is around 2.45 (correct me if i am off by alot) and they should be cheap seeing as HF's are shitty ass engines.

I believe the final drive for the HF is around 2.95 or so

yes you may want longer gears like a hf or oven a dx trany would be good for boost but they are weeker (on the plus side they are also lots cheeper)

I really don't want cheaper, and I don't want a shitty transmission incase I decide to not boost right away..

and Back to the topic anyone know how much this cost to have done (synchro's) and is it worth it on a high mileage tranny?

Originally posted by cointelpro@Nov 25 2003, 05:41 PM
and they should be cheap seeing as HF's are shitty ass engines.

Just becuase they don't have a lot of hp doesn't make it a shitty ass engine. The engine will last forever.

:werd:

They're great engines. Just don't suggest to people that they use the HF transmission for boost. Those gears are pretty much too tall for everything...

If you only have to replace the synchronizers and one gear set, you're probably looking at about $200 plus labor. That's what it cost me anyway. You might be better served buying another used transmission for that price.

yeah, i have found that trannys you might as well just swap the tranny out, its cheaper, that is unless you want to do a complete overhall so you have a "like-new" trany

Yup. I was playing with a much more expensive transmission than a stock Z6 unit, so I wanted to repair it. $200 was worth it to me.

Back