FLOATING VALVES?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

What does it mean to float a valve? How does it happen? What is mechanically happening and what do people do to float valves? What can be done to better insure that you don't float valves?

valve float is caused when engine speeds are high. the cam is pulling so high and fast, that the valve spring is not contracting the valves properly to seat, causing the valves to move freely, and when it moves freely, the piston can hit the valves, causing major booboos. this is why it is recommended that when you change cams with mild specs, it is a good thing to swap out the recommended spring kit.

:werd:

but dont be under the impression that you need to get a full valvetrain just because you got some street cams. new springs are pretty high up ther, retainers, not so much, and unless you are gonna run 500whp out of your honda motor, you dont need new valves.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Feb 28 2004, 04:11 PM
valve guides would be a nice upgrade

I'll take NO for $200, Alex. OEM guides are fine for all applications, and rarely need replacing, if ever. If you DO have to replace them, just buy another head because it'll be cheaper than having a machine shop sweat them out. Trust me- it's a bitch. It's one of the few machining processes I don't want to do again.

Damn! I think this explains the noise comming from the low end bottom of my car engine. Do you have to replace the pistons since the valve had come in contact with the pistons???

Back