fluctuating idol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xEG6x

so friday after work i go and start my car, its a b16a in a 5ghb by the way... and the idol jumps up to like 2400, and then drops down to 1200 it does this for about 5 mins... and then it stays at steady idol at 1900 for bout 45 seconds and then starts the fluctuating agin... i have zex kit install'd on my car.. and when i just turn th box on.. no nitrous in the lines... the idol stays at a steady 2600, until i turn it off and it and fluctuates, so i was thinking of a vacuum leak.. but i can't find one.. i was also thinking MAP sensor..... but i doubt it since its not throwing the MAP code, or any code at all besides my normal Knock Sensor code. i thinking maybe head gasket but no sure... can anyone please help me.

I would say a vaccuum leak is a good bet. Mine did that and it turned out to be a leaky TB gasket. I'd check that first.

Cover your throttle body with your hand all the way and if it stays on and idols right then you have a leak . If your car shuts off then its not a leak look in your trottle body there should be 2 holes or 1 in it if there are 2 cover the top 1 of then up if it idol right then its then its the sensor on the back of you manifold I think its called the idol air control valve and if you cover the bottom one and it idols right then its the sensor right under the throttle body. let me know if I help you because I had the same problem And thats how I fixed it. :roll:

Sounds to me like a IACV, and I would suggest buying a new one rather than trying to repair it. I repaired mine and the annoying ass idle returned in less than 2 weeks. Good luck ;)

I had a similar problem with my Sol. It turned out to be a little bit of dirt in the screen between the IACV and the intake manifold. After I cleaned it out it went away after a week or two. Strangely enough however whenever my car battery went dead (my battery was near the end of its life) it started doing it again after I jumped the car. Once I replaced the battery it stopped for good.

So try cleaning everything around the intake manifold by taking it off, looking for screens and making sure they are clean. If that doesn't work then take your battery to be tested (what the hell, its usually free at autozone and places like that!) and if that doesn't work look at your output voltages and consider replacing stuff.

Good luck

it turned out it was my IAVC the white bushing that holds the spring down came unscrewed i took it completly out.. and cleand it up and then screwed it back into snug... put everything back togather and it runs like a champ.. and back to normal idol... thanks for all your help guys....

Back