flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evilgsr

I am looking into getting a lightened flywheel and have looking at act brand, but they come in two different weights, 8lb and 12 lb. what is the best weight to use? i plan to use this car as a daily driver that i can take to the drag strip and take auto xing on the weekends. also if anyone else knows of a better/more preferable brand of flywheel please let me know ..thanks

no no. get the 8.8lb it's great!!! are you by any chance around pittsburgh? come drive my car, you'll love it after you get used to it. yes it's slow, but that flywheel really makes it come to life. when i first got it, i hated it. after 4 hours of driving, it's absolutely wonderful. revmatching is the easiest thing in the world. don't listen to those who say it's tough to daily drive an 8lb flywheel, it's not. you just have to use a little more finesse at launch, and shift quickly. it will actually make you more aware of your footwork, and a better driver. :D plus it's sooo fun, i just go for drives when i'm bored. i never did with a stock flywheel. i'll be going with the 6.75lb comptech one next. the lighter the better. especially if you're autoxing, you'll have more mid and topend torque coming out of the corner, and your engine will brake itself better.

:eek: also, i'm surprised this was mentioned as they're not very common, consider the kaiten kairu. i actually had never heard of them until a few days ago. it's basically an 8.8lb chromoly one like the prolite, that is heat treated and manufacutred a little better. for more info: http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_in...ation=&back=yes

bang for the buck looks real nice with that one, especially if you're road racing, as it can take more heat.

did you notice your car losing any power due to the flywheel (ie lower rpm ect) i mean i know that a flywheel isnt a matter of horsepower but a matter of getting the power out but i mean how did it affect the way the car's power was spread out or did it just basically magnify it

I have a 9lb kaiten kairu flywheel and it has held up well, 6k miles so far on my ctr. Daily driving was no problem at all.

Originally posted by evilgsr@Mar 8 2004, 12:50 AM
did you notice your car losing any power due to the flywheel (ie lower rpm ect) i mean i know that a flywheel isnt a matter of horsepower but a matter of getting the power out but i mean how did it affect the way the car's power was spread out or did it just basically magnify it

if anything it's better. don't listen to those who say they make you slow, and are hard to drive. this is false, and most likely coming out of someones ass. 8lbs all the way B)

i vote for the 12 lb.I used to run an 8 lb and it would drop my idle when I came to a hard stop almost to the point of killing the car. Just something to consider. Your going to be taking away a large amount of the rotational mass of the stock bottom end. Also, for long,long,long term use, you should have the bottom end rebalanced now that you are changing the entire bottom end balancing that honda spent lots of time and money perfecting.

matt

I ran the 7.5lber,,,,no problems, loved it and I would do it all over again if I was going NA with a B series.

Originally posted by jwn7+Mar 8 2004, 02:48 PM-->
@Mar 8 2004, 12:50 AM

if anything it's better. don't listen to those who say they make you slow, and are hard to drive. this is false, and most likely coming out of someones ass. 8lbs all the way B)

:withstupid:

Lighter flywheels don't cause your engine to lose any power or torque- they just take away torque "storage" which makes your car a little trickier to start from a dead stop, but you gain the huge advantages of not having a huge weight to work against when you're accelerating and decelerating your engine.

If you search "rotational inertia" and "flywheel" under my user name through the forums, you'll see a few extremely detailed posts about exactly what a lighter flywheel does to the rotational system called your drivetrain. Don't listen to 3/4 of those dumbasses on Honda-Tech that are just babbling out their asses on stuff like this.

By the way- I run a 7.5 pound flywheel on my Civic, and it's badass in daily driving. I've got about 25k miles on it, and I love it. It only took me... about 5 minutes to "get used" to it.

basically, it all comes down to your right foot.

if you let off the gas coming to a stop, it will abruptly slow you down due to lack of momentum. so coasting down a steep hill in gear instead of staying at current speed, will probably drop your speed.

as for taking off, you just gotta be a little cleaner, else youre going to buck/peel out. lol basically, learning to drive your clutch all over again will be required :)

:werd:

It's going to be interesting when I get the car back in a few weeks- I've been driving my truck with the super heavy flywheel, my housemate's STi with the heavy flywheel, and my girlfriend's 88 LX with all stock drivetrain... hopefully I can get the car moving without bogging the engine.

:D

so in other words you going to be ridding that biznatch out at like 5k for the first time,,, :D :D

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 9 2004, 02:08 PM
:werd:

It's going to be interesting when I get the car back in a few weeks- I've been driving my truck with the super heavy flywheel, my housemate's STi with the heavy flywheel, and my girlfriend's 88 LX with all stock drivetrain... hopefully I can get the car moving without bogging the engine.

:D

It's funny, I find myself "over-revving" sometimes when shifting the WRX (during a normal shift, not anything quick), because I was so used to having to have my foot on the gas in the Accord for that split-second longer to keep the revs up between shifts.

Back