FNG here w/ a question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hbhb66

Hi all! Just another new guy here......Before I start out, props to the forum, I'm diggin' what I see! I know my question has probably been asked a million times before but I didn't see it on the immediate page of recent strings, so, bear w/ me.......Anywho, my question is concerning the swap I am planning for my 89 CRX Si. I recently purchased a 91 EF8 SiR front clip from the local JDM importer. I know I'm getting the Hasport mounts. What I wanted to know was can I use the stock axles from the 91 front clip in my 89 (I thought I could but am not sure), and can I just swap out ECUs and wiring harnesses so as to avoid having to add wires to my stock harness (or would that be easier than just running the 91 harness in my 89)?

from what i've read the b16a axles are a little to long, but can be used. they may cause problems latter. i used 94 del sol halfshaft for the passanger side and 86 teg halfshaft for the drivers side. you'll want to use the stock crx wiring harness. you will also need hasports conversion wiring harness or you could make it your self using the b16a wiring harness, cutting and splicing. you'll also need a different shift linkage for the swap. hasport has that for sell or you can get a 90-93 teg linkage and cut and weld to fit.

Yes the SiR axles will work. Make sure to use your stock 89 harness and just wire up the VTEC. Trust me, its REALLY easy. If you can figure out the rest of the swap the wiring will be a piece of cake. You will need a SL like 9inch said, I say get the hasport one, but if you can weld, go for the teg one.

I know there is more to the wiring than the VTEC........what else is there? So the shift linkage won't work for sure? I'm using the LSD tranny from the EF8 and that won't work as the stock linkage with my present car?

use the stock crx wiring harness and then buy hasports conversion wiring subharness. it includes four wires 2nd oxygen sensor wire, knock sensor, oil pressure and i can't remember what the other one is off the top of my head but just check it out for your self at hasport.com

thats what I thought in terms of the wiring, I just needed some confirmation. What about the shift linkage?

Whats the tranny code for the EF8 tranny?
I know you need a hasport or custom SL for any b series transmission.

Wiring is 5 wires: 2nd o2, VTEC solenoid (takes 2 wires, one is a ground), Knock Sensor, and VTEC Oil Pressure. It REALLY easy. Trust me, I've done it and it was a piece of cake.

OK, I'll have the tranny code tommorow. The clip is at work and I'm, well....home. But let me see if I can put to the keyboard what is going through my tiny noggin.

I guess straight logic is the only reason I think I can use the stock shift linkage off of the clip. The engine, tranny, and SL are still attatched in the SiR clip which I'm pretty sure has the same undercarrige tunnels as my 89 Si unless somebody can show me differently or I find out different when I tear into the swap. Going off of that line of logic, why should I not be able to use the three components listed above completely in conjucture w/ each other in my 89? :huh: Has anybody out there gone the route I'm taking in terms of purchasing a whole clip and using every part off of the JDM clip on your USDM car that you can? I know that when one does not have access to a whole clip, the list reads like this:

Long Block
Tranny
ECU
Wiring Harness (w/ or w/out adapter harness)
Shift Linkage
Axles
Motor Mounts

As far as I know I have everything on that list minus the mounts at my disposal w/ purchasing the clip. Has anybody out there tried to use SiR shift linkage on their ED-EF or DA B16 swap? I guess that would answer the question wouldn't it? Oh well.................

Oh, one more thing:

tanaka: What type of pinout did you use when wiring your harness and where did you access it from? Was it just a deal of integrating the 5 new wires into the old harness and running them through the empty cavities?

Check this out:

http://www.hasport.com/Products/Linkage.htm

Third row from the top, next two complete sentences. It sounds to me like their saying that their fabricated SL for the B16 swap into an EF is a different from the SiR SL but will work. So logically, from that statement, Hasport is pretty much saying outright that the best SL to use in a B16 swap into an EF is the SiR SL. I guess I just answered my own question.

Update! (for anybody who was paying attn):

I finally broke down and called Joe @ Hasport. He said to the best of his knowledge, that the stock linkage from the SiR clip should work, along w/ the axles, but we already knew that, right???? :D Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to this string. I'll post before and after pics for anyone interested as soon as I get situated.........

Back