Foam filling the interior side panels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

I was thinking of maybe filling in the gaps in my door panels and interior side panels with some foam filling of some kind to reduce vibration and noise in the EG Hatch. The rattles and crap really get on my nerves. I was wondering if any of you guys out there have done something like this and could fill me in on the best method to do it. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 11 2005, 10:26 PM
I was thinking of maybe filling in the gaps in my door panels and interior side panels with some foam filling of some kind to reduce vibration and noise in the EG Hatch. The rattles and crap really get on my nerves. I was wondering if any of you guys out there have done something like this and could fill me in on the best method to do it. Any info is appreciated, thanks.
[post=552831]Quoted post[/post]​

I've done it on boats with "great stuff".. and I did it in the rear panels of my CRX in the "rust spots" to give me a backing to carve and build the first layer of fiberglass from, but after that layer was dry, I stripped it out. You've got to watch that stuff though... It expands like mad.

My advise would be to fix the rattles.. tighten screws or add felt backing to interior panels that are squeeking. That would be the best way...

:werd:

find the problems instead of trying a ghetto fix...
cause if its still there after the foam you're gonna have one hell of a time getting all that shit back out to fix it the right way...

and it definately expands like a mother fucker...
watch out for cables and things like your gas door popper...
my friend found this out the hard way... <_<

Is there any difference between the uber-1337 structural expanding foam, and the stuff in "Great Stuff". I'd like to look into filling some hollow members in my EG, and wondered if it was the same.

Originally posted by phyregod+Sep 12 2005, 06:40 AM-->
confusatron
@Sep 11 2005, 10:26 PM

I've done it on boats with "great stuff".. and I did it in the rear panels of my CRX in the "rust spots" to give me a backing to carve and build the first layer of fiberglass from, but after that layer was dry, I stripped it out. You've got to watch that stuff though... It expands like mad.

My advise would be to fix the rattles.. tighten screws or add felt backing to interior panels that are squeeking. That would be the best way...
[post=552922]Quoted post[/post]​

Aww man. You mean I gotta fix it the right way? :( Actually I dunno if this is my imagination, but it seems to be a lot less rattley now that I pumped my tires up to 40 psi. They were all at 30 and 25 for some reason.

The main rattles are coming from the door panels, and somewhere in the rear with the suspension or something. I ordered a rear lower tie bar from Neuspeed yesterday and am currently looking for an upper rear tie bar or something to that effect to tie the rear end together. DOn't know much about tie bar theory though, so I'm kinda just lookin around. I don't wanna just gut the rear and put in one o those 3 point or 4 point systems because I want the car to stay looking relatively stock. Plus I think removing all that crap will make the car even more noisy. Hell I dunno. But the door panels may be fixable. Maybe some missing plastic screws or something.

i say its little rocks and pebbles maybe inside your doors... cuzi kno when i gutted my hatch.. there were all sorts of things in there.. but most likely its just some loose screws roaming around

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 12 2005, 10:36 PM
I ordered a rear lower tie bar from Neuspeed yesterday and am currently looking for an upper rear tie bar or something to that effect to tie the rear end together. DOn't know much about tie bar theory though, so I'm kinda just lookin around.
[post=553510]Quoted post[/post]​

Just remember- fewer joints = better, no joints = best.

If you want to use foam to fill all the gaps, you're looking at a LOT of foam volume. You want to be able to get the door panels off later too, so I would just kill rattles one by one in your doors instead of filling them up with foam.

what about filling the sopts with foam. say in my crx for better sound dampining and all that crap? not trying to thread jack here. wouldnt it do the same thing as dynamat pretty much? what if were not going to use it to fix rattles?

you'd be amazed what can cause rattling and such...

if its in the doors look for broken glass... that will keep you busy for hours...
if its in the back, just rip all the panels out and give it the cleaning of a lifetime...

its pretty easy to remove the rear seats and side and rear panels to give everything a good looking over...

i filled all the open areas in the mirage with foam, like the quarter panels, pillars, everything, then covered a good amount of it with dynamat.

shit rides like a lexus ;)

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Sep 13 2005, 04:17 PM
i filled all the open areas in the mirage with foam, like the quarter panels, pillars, everything, then covered a good amount of it with dynamat.

shit rides like a lexus ;)
[post=553862]Quoted post[/post]​

What kind of foam? spray foam or loose foam pieces? And is dynomat expensive and how hard is it to install?

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 11 2005, 08:26 PM

Im gonna be doing the same thing but using bquiet ultimate instead. Its like dynamat but a little better. You just stick it on to the surface, much easier imo

if you have rattling issues, fix em first before you sound proof it, i know eg's for sure are much noisier as far as road noise and such, my suggestion would be to find them loose screws or what ever then go back and dynamat the floors and fire wall to deffen the sound of the road, the expanding faom is a good idea in some areas, but may be more trouble than its worth in the future. just a thought
good luck

The big rattle that's been annoying me the most, really the only significant one, seems to be coming from the rear end, specifically from the passenger side rear shock tower. I gotta take the interior panel off and see if that's what's rattling. I'm definitely considering the b-quiet sound deadener for the floor and firewall. Although the firewall seems like it will be a real bitch to cover it well, seeing as how the dash is kinda in the way.

I was looking at the L Comp composite to go with the B Quiet Ultimate, but the combined price is way to goddamn high for me. It'd be well over $500 for the complete interior job.

I was thinking of using the Ultimate along with some sheet insulating foam on top, the kind you can buy at Home Depot. The Owens Corning, etc. shit. I know they have thick ass sheets like 3/4" thick, and I'm pretty sure they have thinner shit that's like 1/4" thick.

I figure I can cut it to fit and glue it down over the Ultimate and get some pretty damn good sound deadening out of it. Hell it's a lot denser than the foam used in the L Comp, it just doesn't have the thin lead inner layer. And, most importantly, I'm pretty sure its only a few bucks for a 4'x8' sheet. Which would save me a few hundred bucks. What do you guys think of this idea?

Back