fresh build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

formby

learning in progress
okay right to the point.... i had a local machine shop build me an lsvtec .bore,

decked,new crank, pr30 pistons, fresh ls rods, bearings, b16 head was preasure

tested valve leak tested, shaved i paid total$2,200 also misc stuff like arp

hardware, flywheel,gasket set, vtec kit.block guard is not included. the problem is

that its burning oil, when i hit the gas white smoke is seen (tons) after racing

when i stop smoke gushes out.

the guy at the machine said that it has to be the valve stem seals but my mech

(who is a tech at the local honda dealer. classic honda) said that there is no way

that could be because the head is off an 1999 si with 45k miles on it. i really dont

know what to do. :blink: :angry: i spend all this money...i still kick asson the

road but it's embarasing :ph34r: does any one have any suggestions????? i am

thinking that they did not hone/bore the block evenly

well ill be honest with you im a accord and prelude powertrain guy and other than that in general i am a collission tech but i will share my general mech knowledge. If you rae smoking Alot of white smoke such as you say it would generally be your head gasket. I know you dont want to hear this being that you just got yuor motor out of the machine shop but that is generally what white smoke is. What i would do is let ity run and waerm up, and then have a buddy step on the gas while you smell the tail pipe...if it smells sweet liek anti-freeze than its your head gasket. Otherwise after doing this let us know and well go from ther. but from what yuove given for specs thats would be my guess. Hope i could have been of some help

Originally posted by driver1@Jul 24 2004, 11:24 PM
well ill be honest with you im a accord and prelude powertrain guy and other than that in general i am a collission tech but i will share my general mech knowledge. If you rae smoking Alot of white smoke such as you say it would generally be your head gasket. I know you dont want to hear this being that you just got yuor motor out of the machine shop but that is generally what white smoke is. What i would do is let ity run and waerm up, and then have a buddy step on the gas while you smell the tail pipe...if it smells sweet liek anti-freeze than its your head gasket. Otherwise after doing this let us know and well go from ther. but from what yuove given for specs thats would be my guess. Hope i could have been of some help
[post=367763]Quoted post[/post]​

Also to check for a mal-functioning headgasket would be to take off the radiator cap and see if exhaust is coming through it, and also if the oil has water/anti-freeze in it giving it a milkshake appearance.

What kind of break in did you do on the motor? That coiuld be it, if you didn't break it in properly.

okay... there is no water leak because we checked the spark plugs and the oil when we changed it today.....my tech told me that if it was the gasket it would burn a blueish tinted smoke from the freon(spell) if it was the valves when you first turn on the car then the smoke wil bee seen but after the car gets temp it goes away. i am going to the shop tommorrow and telling the guy that i need the car back perfect. i dont see any other way to fix the problem.

my tech broke it in for me he drove it for about 2500 miles to the dealer every day. i was driving my other car

no way dude white smoke is oil!!! black is fuel blueish is coolant!

Originally posted by formby@Jul 26 2004, 11:09 PM
[post=368495]Quoted post[/post]​

Um, uh, YES WAY DUDE!!!!

Blue is oil, greyish-blackish is fuel, white is: you guessed it, STEAM.

Boil a pot of water and wait for blue. Won't happen, you won't see blue until the water is gone and the pot is burning.

I've driven a lot of beaters, and this is common knowledge. Oil can burn light blue, resembling white, but it's still blue.

You can check for blow by, sticking your hand behind the tailpipe while someone gives the throttle a couple of revs(not close enough to burn yourself).

Hell, you could be burning water and oil. Take it back to the mechanic, and make them fix it. They fucked up somewhere, and you shouldn't have to figure it out. This is why I do my own work. I trust no one. Some work has to be done by a machine shop, but I'll build it myself.:shrug2:

Originally posted by formby@Jul 26 2004, 08:09 PM
[post=368495]Quoted post[/post]​

White smoke is coolant ( Steam) Blue is oil, and Black is fuel ( Rich condition)

Back