Fried ECU???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

schintz04

I'm driving a 1998 Honda Civic SI w/ a GSR B18c1 (99). I just changed the exhaust, and it was hitting my shifter, so we welded a mount to push it down, and after we welded my speedo stopped working. I got home, and my car started acting up (flickering lights, stuff turning off), and my battery wouldnt stay charged. The usual thing, you'd think it was an alternator.. paid $330 to change that, and still isnt keeping a charge. The only time it will stay charged is when it is boosted, as soon as the cables are off, the tester just shows the volts going down, and the car dies. The only thing I can think of, is the welding fried the ECU? I tried using the code reader, but it would show up as "unable to connect".

Any ideas???

Charge up the battery, unplug the ECU, and see what happens. Flickering lights meaning dash lights?

The code reader is kinda spooky though.. Also check all of your underhood and under dash fuses and make sure none of those are blown..

Alright, I'll try this as soon as the weather stops raining. My O2 Sensor is ripped out as of right now, that wouldnt cause the car to do anything weird right?

i guess welding without grounding or whatever properly can actually fry stuff. Keep us posted. I'd like to see what happened.

it was grounded.. it's weird, I don't know. I have another ECU on it's way,
I'll deffinatly throw a post up letting you know whats up.

the back up fuse in the engine compartment fuse box its a 7.5 amp fuse labelled as back up is proibabl;y burned out. check that out first. it controls the coltage to the ECU and the ELD unit which would make the lights flash

I was changing my 40/40 in my older civic and to get past the ac line, I accidently brushed against the + wire, had a small spark but didn't think much of it.
Well after bleeding the brakes, turn over fine, no spark/start
NO blown fuses but still NO blinks on the ECU..
I was able to find a used one, swapped in and fired right up. ANd this particular one isn't showing any codes where the other one was showing the oxygen egr codes. (wierd)
So I guess it's possible that a spike on the system could cause a ECU problem.
But I've welded on many cars that I never unplugged anything..
I even did the exhaust on this civic "on car" also without problems.

Did you figure it out?

E

Back