1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

from block up, b16a or b18b

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by blacksheep115, Apr 17, 2005.

1. blacksheep115

blacksheep115 Junior Member

I am wanting to buy a block from my 98 civic EX... I was wanting to know what the best way to go would be? I have decided between a b18b and a b16a. Just because these are the cheapest and easiest to find blocks. I will be going turbo and possibly NOS(just for looks). I would like to know which block would get me the farthest in the long run. And also, just a side question. how much does it cost to sleave a b16 or b18? Thanks in advance.

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Um, NOS, just for looks? What does that mean? It's a performance part, not a decal.

Read the forum and FAQ, you need more than a block to swap into your car. And either of those motors is great for boost.

3. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

b18b = more displacement, better torque.

b16a = high end power

it's up to you what you want. I'd personally do an LS/VTEC and then turbo it. Best of both worlds.

4. lude9593

lude9593 Senior Member

or keep it simpler and go ls turbo.

5. b16efhatch

b16efhatch Senior Member

Why keep it simple if he is building the block. Daily driver or just a car for messing around on the weekends? LSVTEC turbo would be fast as long as you didnt drive it daily so it would last longer.

6. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Simple yes, but an LS/VTEC Turbo will put more power down than a simple B18b turbo at the same boost level.

7. blacksheep115

blacksheep115 Junior Member

92b16vx... Yes first off i know NOS is not a decal, and i also know i need more than a block to swap it into my car. As i stated i wanted to build the engine from the block up. And it will be dyno'd using NOS and turbo. But the odds of me spraying it, since it will be a street car will, will be slim to none. I want it more for car shows, and to show off. For everyone else, thanks for the opinions and advice. I ordered a b18b block. I will keep everyone updated on what i do if wanted. Will be a while befor the whole engine is built. And no i'm not looking for a simple way out. I want to do the engine right, although i'm not looking to push 30 psi of boost. I want the ability to do so if i wanted. If i'm gonna spend the money to build the engine later on i might turn it into a drag car.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted