Fully rebuilt 95 B18C1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BseriesBeast

Just bought a 95 gsr w/ 229,000 miles on it.. and this is my first car. Its all stock and the owner claims he took good care of it. Im not sure how well a b18 with that many miles on it can perform.. but I just wanna know if I should keep it that way or fully rebuild. If so, what parts do I need to buy and in what order. I'm on a budget so nuttin too pricey.

If u came to flame and call me an amateur and talk shit just keep ya 2 cents to yourself. Any advice would be nice.

I'm not even sure what you're asking here. You need to provide more details. Do you just want to do a stock rebuild? Or build for performance? What exactly is your budget? What are your goals for the car? Answer those questions and then we can help you better...

If you just want to know whether or not your engine is healthy, you could always start with the basics, compression, leak-down test, etc.

Sry.. I wanna build for stock then later put performance parts on. I don't necessarily have a low-budget since I work and don't have much bills to pay at the moment.. I want to get the most I can outta this engine without doing anything excessive like turbo YET.

As for how healthy the engine is, how exactly would I go about assessing that? I actually have to go pick it up in about an hour from the guy selling it to me and Im gonna drive it own my own for the first time.. it's over a little over a 50 mile drive and Im worried about how much the car can take..

Last edited:
Well...see, the problem is, an N/A build (non-turbo) is different than a turbo build. For N/A, you generally would bump the compression up to make more power. For turbo, you take the compression down. Sorry if all of this seems really elementary, I don't know how much you know.

Anyways, the point is, if you turbo is in your future, then I wouldn't really do a whole lot to the engine in the meantime. I'd probably just do bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust, etc.), stuff that doesn't cost a whole lot. I definitely wouldn't crack the block open and add high-compression pistons or anything like that, because you'll just have to do it again and replace them later.

What exactly are your power goals?

This is my first car.. I wanna treat like I would treat my first child. I dont know much about cars or hondas and Im not a gear head. I know what I hear my friends talk about.. which isnt always reliable. But I do know for a fact that I want to get the most I can outta this car.Right about now I just want to get the car engine looking and feeling 200,000 miles younger but run much better than ya typical stock gsr.

Later on I would like to add turbo once I'm satisfied with the way the 'turbo build' setup runs.. without any actual turbo. I drove it back home and it felt pretty good.. but I wouldnt know good from bad to be honest. I would honestly say I would do turbo but I wanna get a lot done before summer so I can move on to body work. Been very patient & helpful so far.. thanks. Gonna need this forum to take me under its wing until im satisfied with this car nn

Last edited:
i would just start getting parts are you gonna race the car yet? but the first thing i would do is replace the water pump, oil pump, and timing belt that would be one of the first things to do dunno if it is the original but if it is that would be the first thing that i would do just me though, but if your not gonna race if yet i would just start buying parts like piston, rods, valve train, intake, stuff like that just ask questions man this is what this sight is for

No I don't wanna race this until I feel like it's in good enough shape to.. I go to the races down here all the time and a lot of people come with their POS cars and embarrass theirselves and their cars, but I wanna go hard. ^_^

As for the water pump and timing belt.. etc. I'm gonna get those a sap. Been told to start off with those by a lot of people. Whats the deal with those rebuild kits though?

I think whats bothering me the most at this point is doing all these things to the motor with that 229,000 sittin in the back of my mind.. will buying these parts and installing them part by part have the engine running like or close to new or just give it more horsepower with the mileage still holding it back..

the water pump, timing belt, and oil pump are parts that go out over time on your motor. They won't add any more power but they are just 3 less things that you have to worry about that would cause a lot of problems for you if they went bad. I would also replace the head gasket, and get some arp head studs they are safer for boosted applications and are reuseable so they will still be good when you turbo the motor. I would also suggest doing some things to your motor for horsepower you will not regret it just simple things like an intake, and a cat back exhaust. Maybe get the ecu tuned. It would be a quick car with just that done.

K thanks.. I'll ask less questions and start getting some parts now.. not sure what'll happen to this thread in the meantime but I appreciate all the help and advice and will keep you guys updated.

229,000k is alot of miles like said before oil pump, water pump, timing belt. as well as spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, distributer cap and rotor, and change the oil an filter. basically a full tune up. from there start getting forged pistons and rods, sleeves, block guard. head gasket, arp head studs. then head work (springs, valves, retainers, cams, cam gears) once u have all that u bring it to a machine shop an have it built then u will have a motor with 0 miles on it and it will be able to handle lots of power for wen that turbo day comes. your motor is old and worn out so the reliability of it is very questionable. the tune up is your best bet for rite now until u can get the motor re-built

Back