Funky Smell? Smells Like Cotton Candy? Near Alt...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SleEPeR_CRX

Hey guys, i got a weird problem, well me and my Gf were driving home tnight, i parked my car in my inclosed garage, then we went inside, blah blah, then i was going to drive her home and my whole garage smelled like cotton candy... i drove her home, got back to my house, popped my hood, i have oil/water, but the smell is there, its coming from down the drivers side, by alt or axel? any ideas what the smell is or wat its coming from?, car drove fine, just weird smell? thanks

That smell (like syrup) is the antifreeze. Check your hoses, you might have a slow leak, and check under the car. Is it leaving a puddle or dripping? Leave the car idling in the garage for a minute and look for a leak. If it's from the passenger side, check all around the throttle body, there's a few smaller hoses there that could be rotten.

well no, it smells like its from the drivers side, and theres no leak under the car, and ive replaced all the hoses to do with anti freeze, and im running straight water in rad, b/c i race.... anything else ?

Just a thought, but could it be related to my clutch? my clutch is dieng on me and could that be making a smell like that? just an idea.

Yeah, a clutch CAN smell sweet depending on the material it's made of. It it slipping pretty badly? Try this. Put the car in 3rd or 4th at about 50 MPH on the interstate. Floor it and let it pull to close to redline. If it doesn't slip when you do this, the clutch should be ok for a few thousand more miles. It still may have a slipping recovery when shifting, however.

Back