gear grinding question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2ndGenTeg

okay heres the deal most of the time when my car heats up and i'm driving it down the road shifiting gears from first to second i have no problem but as soon as i hit third around 3500 rpm my gear grinds and every time i down shift for 5th to 3rd it always grinds before going in. Is it a transmission problem? or just my gear? or gear box? car is 93 gs-r

Engine braking = bad for tranny

If you are lucky changing the fluid will quite the grind, but the damage is probably done.

Same problem here. I was rolling about 5-10 mph and as I was putting it into first as i was coming out onto a street it ground as it went into first, I had the clutch fully engaged...damn synchros.

Sounds like the syncro's out, they get the gears spinning at the same speed before they engage, when there out that gringing is the dogteeth grinding till the click in

ok so you guys said its the syncro's right will do you guys know how much it would cost to get it repaired or replaced? j/c because i need to get it fixed soon. oh by the way some guy told my it was my clutch but i was like i highly doubt that because i just put in a new clutch like less that a year ago.

Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg@Jan 8 2004, 12:13 AM
and every time i down shift for 5th to 3rd it always grinds before going in. Is it a transmission problem? or just my gear? or gear box? car is 93 gs-r

There is A Honda TSB on this, DO NOT skip gears. No 5th to 3rd or you will have synchro damage. If only for a sec, upshift or down- go through the gears in order.

Back