1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gear hard to put in 5th or reverse

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by infamouz, Oct 24, 2005.

1. infamouz

infamouz Senior Member

stock b18 into a crx with stock transmission lsd. im kind of finding it hard to put my car into 5th or reverse. its like when i think its in reverse its actually in 4th, and when i think im in 5th im actually in third. Do any of you know on how to solve this. my gears on 1-4 grab good, but everytime i try to go in 5th or reverse it really bothers me. any advice on what it might be, and how much it might cost to fix if i gave this description to a mechanic. -infamouz- :)

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

everyone's syncros are goin bad at the same time it seems. My bet would be your syncros. if you push the clutch in twice, and try to get your revs where they should be in that gear, it helps.

I drove a car without a clutch (except to get it started...for some reason it would let me idle at a stop light....still havent figured that out) for about a week. its an interesting experience, but if you learn how to rev match, its not too difficult to drive without the help of syncros.

3. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

Kinda sounds like the shift cables are getting rusty/stuck to me?

4. 94CivicSlow

94CivicSlow Senior Member

It sounds like your Reverse/5th gear sleeve set needs to be replaced. Its around 200$ and includes new synchronizer rings. Email Gearspeed for quote. Easy to install.

5. infamouz

infamouz Senior Member

91 ls teg engine. any of you know how much a transmission costs? i figured i might as well get a used one.

6. 94CivicSlow

94CivicSlow Senior Member

Depends on which one you get many will fit.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted