Gearbox problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crx4ever

Hello,

I'm from europe and i have swapped a b18c4 engine into my crx ED9 '91. The gearbox is from a B16A1. The problem that i have is that, according me, my RPM during driving is very high. Higher than with my previous d16z5 engine. Also the top speed is low. I want to adjsut the gearbox or swap in an other one but i don't know which one fits in. Can you give me some advise to help me out

Thanks in advance

(When i have some more pic's i will intrduce myself)

Arjen

Quoted post[/post]]
It sounds like you have difficulty shifting or stuck in the lower gears?
It sounds like you dont know what your talking about.

anyways to help:

The b16 transmissions(gearbox) are geared very short and are a somewhat annoying on the highway but great for racing and such. If you want a transmission with longer gears with better driveability You can go with a GSR transmission which has longer gears then the b16 or even an LS transmission which has even longer gears then both.

the top speed is low? I've gone 130 in my b16 crx, 130 isn't slow. You drive a honda, its not supposed to be a high speed car, its supposed to be an econobox that has handling and acceleration potential. If you put in a longer spaced transmission you'll have a higher top speed, but your acceleration will suck balls...and which is more fun; speed or acceleration? If you asked me, I'd say acceleration, any car can just go fast.

Quoted post[/post]]
the top speed is low? I've gone 130 in my b16 crx, 130 isn't slow. You drive a honda, its not supposed to be a high speed car, its supposed to be an econobox that has handling and acceleration potential. If you put in a longer spaced transmission you'll have a higher top speed, but your acceleration will suck balls...and which is more fun; speed or acceleration? If you asked me, I'd say acceleration, any car can just go fast.

I agree acceleration is important, also for me. But i have the idea that i'm losing power due to the fact that the gearratio's are so short. I think i can accelarate faster with a different final gear or something. My engine a b18c4 has 170hp from factory.

The guy who did the swap said that the original geabox didn't fit in because there wasn't enough space. Now i wonder if it's possible to swap the final gear from a GSR or ITR gearbox into my gearbox. I think that the problem is solved then or is this a wrong way of thinking. Plse help because i doný know shti about gearboxes

You can't lose power because of how the gears are cut in your transmission. Your engine will output the same BHP regardless of gearing. Your car will only feel slower with any other transmisson. The b16 transmission is the closest geared, and therefore the fastests (or should I say quickest), OEM honda transmission. It will provide the maximum acceleration of any Honda tranny.

Also, the dude that said the b18 tranny wouldn't fit is a dumbass, I know people running both Type R and GSR transmissions in CRXs.

Quoted post[/post]]
You can't lose power because of how the gears are cut in your transmission. Your engine will output the same BHP regardless of gearing. Your car will only feel slower with any other transmisson. The b16 transmission is the closest geared, and therefore the fastests (or should I say quickest), OEM honda transmission. It will provide the maximum acceleration of any Honda tranny.

Also, the dude that said the b18 tranny wouldn't fit is a dumbass, I know people running both Type R and GSR transmissions in CRXs.

I know that you can't lose power, i only wrote that to explain how the driving feels right now.
If you are really sure a b18 gearbox fits i will start looking for one to fit in..

Thnx again

My top speed in the car was 225 km/h, it's about 140mph ( I am from holland, went to germany to trie it out :wink:

On this link is a list of some of the available gearbox codes. All of these gearboxes will fit onto a b series engine however there will need to be work done depending on cable or Hydraulic operated boxes. The ratios should help out your question. Another option is to upgrade your engine/valvetrain to use wilder cams and a highr rev limit.

Honestly though, I'd stick with the short ratio and not bother about going over 140 mph.

Linky here.

Back