Generic Tri-Y headers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Please god check your p2v and maybe even v2v clearances. Find out your adjustment range you have to play with on the cam gears.

piston to valve might be a issue if the head is milled. Make sure you lock the vtec lobe in place when you check p2v clearance.

v2v isnt going to be a issue on a stock head. you only start running into v2v clearance when you retard your exhaust cam on oversized valves.

vtec rocker arm not lobe lol

Last edited:
you dont need clay. use a dial indicator, its way more accurate. thats what i did.

i dont remember exactly how i locked the rockers to ride the vtec lobe, but IIRC i stuck a BB or small piece of plastic behind the pin that locks the rockers together. this keep the pin extended into the vtec rocker so it rides that lobe on the cam.

what i did was basically:

lock VTEC rocker
mock up the engine, install pistons, head, cams/gears, HG, TB. put bottom end at TDC, loosen all cam gear bolts so you can move them independently of the gears.
advance intake cam until you feel the valve make contact with the piston (GO SLOW!!!)
set dial indicator to zero and mount to valvestem
back off the cam to your desired minimum clearance. note the amount of degrees on the cam gear, thats the max setting you can run safely on your cam gear.
do the same for the exhaust cam

its been so long since i did this so i might have advance/retard backwards. also i think i use .030"/.040" int/ext as my p2v clearances, but that could be wrong too. ill have to see if i can dig up a post. im sure i made one at some point

Ian,
I like your dial indicator method. That way I only assemble the head once.

For the vtec rockers looks like you can swap the pistons in the rockers; which locks only one valve to vtec. I assume that should be good enough right?

yea, youll have to take the rockers apart to take out the pin on the vtec rocker, but i think you can do that with the head mounted.

Back