get some head...lol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrnice1058

ok i was told since i am rebuilding my b16 i wanted to put high cr pistons in it but since i am going to be building a ls block i should save my money so here is the question i was told to get ctr cams so along with that should i
a: get new valve springs
b: get new retainers
c: get new valves
or can i leave the valves alone and upgrade the springs and call it a day or so i need to do them all a b and c?

also i know everyone in here has heard of obx? i heard alot of bad things about there manifolds and headers that are not good so i take it that there cams are in the same boat? only because my boy has a set of stage 2 cams from them and he wants 300 for both is that a good deal or what?

Personally, I could live without new valves and retainers. Ti ratainers are wear items, they will wear out and eventually need to be replaces. The OEM Honda valves are just fine IMO....id rather bend an OEM one than snap off a stainless one.

OBX is garbage...I didn't even know they made cams...*shrug*

so what cams should i look for what is the bang for the buck type deal something from a b18c1 my friend is getting rid of his for 100 bucks both exhaust and intake

I've never heard of ti retainers wearing out, since it is a much stronger and harder material than steel. I have heard of the keys popping out, but that is another problem. as for valves, I'd just go with itr valvesa if you absolutely have to replace them. Valvesprings are also not necessary, and can be replaced later on down the line. obx is garbage for everything they build. don't buy that crap. gsr cams are a little better, and if you can get them for like 75 bucks, do it. b-series vtec heads are almost identical mechanically, so it's not a big deal to have gsr and type r parts in the same head, just whatever you can afford.

Actually TI is softer than steel. It is lighter, and stronger, but it has a softer surface and less resistance to flexing.

Snap fit retainers/springs greatly reduce the wear of TI Retainers, nitrate coatings, as well as sanding down the tops of the valvesprings to remove sharp edges, but there is always going to be an increase in retainer wear when using TI.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Sep 23 2004, 12:11 AM
I've never heard of ti retainers wearing out, since it is a much stronger and harder material than steel. I have heard of the keys popping out, but that is another problem. as for valves, I'd just go with itr valvesa if you absolutely have to replace them. Valvesprings are also not necessary, and can be replaced later on down the line. obx is garbage for everything they build. don't buy that crap. gsr cams are a little better, and if you can get them for like 75 bucks, do it. b-series vtec heads are almost identical mechanically, so it's not a big deal to have gsr and type r parts in the same head, just whatever you can afford.
[post=393801]Quoted post[/post]​

On the the Rockwell scale of hardness, Ti is much softer than steel. And don't believe the hype, in certain shapes Ti is stronger than steel and lighter, but in many applications, steel is just better suited for the job.

I looked it up after I posted it, and realized I was wrong, just was too lazy to edit. Thanks for correcting my mistake. :)

Back