Getting around time to sell my car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Hey guys,

Question:

If you were to be looking for a 13 year old used vehicle, would you rather buy one with original paint and a tiny little bit of rust, or something that has no rust, but had been recently repainted?

I'm getting around to selling the hatch, and want to know which way to go. It has the original paint which is in great shape, but around the rear passenger fender well, and on the bottom of the passenger door, the paint is starting to chip off, and a bit of surface rust is developing. No perforation at all. Not bad considering it's 13 years old. Everything else is perfect.

I could see painting it before I sell it, but I suspect some people might not want that considering they have no clue to what kind of shape it was in before.

I also know what it's like to go look at a used vehicle. I see rust and I get turned off.

What do you guys think???

Quoted post[/post]]
uhm... how much would it cost to paint it?

A good paint job + minor body work out here is about $800cdn
Thats based on a base coat - clear coat, and no colour changes, not that I want to change the colour anyways.

But the question is: to paint it and ask more, or sell it as it is and ask less.

Thing is, you paint it and you'll never recoup all the money that cost. Sure, you can add some money, but not the full 800.

Plus, I agree that when I see a car that's been freshly painted, I immediately suspect foul play.

as it sits right now how much are you asking for it? oh and to answer your question i personally would like to buy a car with the original paint on it. if i was to see a freshly painted vehicle the first thought going through my head would be to ask seller about its history with wrecks.

you're better off not painting it...
i would also be wary of a freshly painted car cause of a wreck too...

and its usually easier to sell a cheaper car than it is to get top dollar for a freshly painted car..

Quoted post[/post]]
as it sits right now how much are you asking for it?

As it is right now, I'm looking to get about $6500 cdn. So that's just around $5K US, which is way less than I payed for it a year and a half ago, and I dumped around $5K into a B16 and TEIN coilovers alone, not to mention the other couple grand on go fast parts. Not that I'd try to recoup on that, but you get the point. I don't know what you guys pay for Civics like mine down in the states, but they're pretty pricey up here. There are cars like mine in the autotrader up here for over $10K all the time (who knows if they actually get it) but asking anything like that is fucking rediculous.

If I painted it, I'd ask for $7. But I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

Quoted post[/post]]
you're better off not painting it...
i would also be wary of a freshly painted car cause of a wreck too...

and its usually easier to sell a cheaper car than it is to get top dollar for a freshly painted car..

Never thought of the wreck thing. Good call.

I guess I'll give it a try, and if it doesn't sell, I'll try painting it.

Quoted post[/post]]
pics?

Pretty soon dude.

I'll post up a proper "for sale" thread in the vehicle sales forum when I'm ready.

I'm just in talks with the bank about a loan for my new car. When that's all cleared up and ready to go, then I'll proceed with selling this one.

Keep an eye out.

I don't want to buy it.

I was saying post pics of how it looks now...

so we could say for sure whether we think it should be painted or not, ya know?

Quoted post[/post]]
I don't want to buy it.

I was saying post pics of how it looks now...

so we could say for sure whether we think it should be painted or not, ya know?

oh, I wasn't implying that you'd want to buy it .. sorry if it came off that way.

I'll take some pics tomorrow so we can make a better decision.

Take pics anyways. lots of them with a camera that shows the dates. Then if you do decide to paint it then show buyers the pics.

Back