girl in trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94delsol

I have a 94 del sol vtec 155K miles - had timing belt replaced recently- started having trouble shifting - 3rd gear would grind and than slip in - stopped at light - makes noise like slipping when put in first gear - I seem to have to give it alot of gas to catch in gear. Today its loud - when I press the accelerator car vibrates and doesn't seem to have much power when I accelerate - it sounds awful - . My mechanic is about 35 miles - I already drove it like this for 45 miles to get home.
What do you think is the problem? Should I tow it into the mechanic or can I drive it?

Yep sounds like the clutch.

I wouldn't drive it if I were you, my friend really took tried to take the full advantage of the clutch that was in his hyundai, it was slipping bad, barely driveable but he drove it everywhere. When he finally got around to buying a new one he was having problems getting the trans off. So I get a call with him asking me for help. I stop by and start helping, well that trans wasn't going to come off easy. We ended up pulling the motor and trans, and had 4 people prying on that shit, it still didn't want to come off. We were drunk and he decided that it would be a good idea to tie the transmission up and pull it with a quad while a couple people held the engine in place. It worked, the TB had welded itself to the pressure plate somehow.

sorry for the long story, i just had to point that out.

thank you for your help...it gave me the confidence I needed...I am always intimidated because of my lack of knowledge. My mechanic is too booked to do a clutch job but I was able to call him with the quote from the dealer and he said $635 sounds about right - the only thing is the dealer rep keeps telling me how I may need a flywheel which is $320 - I asked my mechanic ...he says no I seriously doubt you will need that - they just need to resurface it which is a part of the installation of the new clutch. I mentioned that to the dealer rep he said well we had a girl in here last week and her fly wheel was tore up....she couldn't shift anything ....well I said that I am not really having a hard time shifting...its just not clicking in...it slips and when I hit the gas there isn't much power like I am in a lower gear than I am in but I am able to get in all my slots....well he says you never know...

So any advice from you wonderful men who know your stuff about clutches and flywheels.....what do you think! I am so grateful for this website - I have learned alot from you and it helps tremendously for someone like me who is totally intimidated. Thank you!

That price is way too high

ebay clutch - $120 (i bought an exedy for my b series)
ebay flywheel - $150 or you buy a resurfaced one of have yours resurfaced (no more than $75 for either)

You most likely don't need anything done to the flywheel to have it work properly.

Plus figure a place will charge you around 250-350 for labor unless you feel you could do it yourself. It really isn't that hard, maybe you could get a couple friends and do it or have them do it over a weekend or something.

Thank you....of course now I feel bad...I am paying "way too much" but what is a girl to do? :( I already said yes because I really don't have a choice....gotta have my car to get back and forth to work! Of course they came up with some other things I need to fix....but I don't want to pay $600 for radiator that has a leak and $450 for a sensor that is broken....I will settle for the new clutch - pray to God they don't tell me my fly wheel is cracked and hope my little del sol lasts at least another 25K - have you heard of these del sol's going past 175K?

Again thank you for your responses...they have been most helpful - I laughed when you said I should try to do it myself!

An excedy stock replacement clutch runs $100 (same as honda OEM) and resurfacing the flywheel runs about $50 at any machine shop. Find a friend that knows cars and have him/her do it for you. I replaced a clutch my first time no problems. Its actually quite easy.

I'd help if you're in Ames Iowa or Minneapolis....

i have blown more cars up than most people and only one have i gouged the fly wheel beyond resurfacing

Originally posted by 94delsol@Nov 23 2004, 12:04 PM
thank you for your help...it gave me the confidence I needed...I am always intimidated because of my lack of knowledge. My mechanic is too booked to do a clutch job but I was able to call him with the quote from the dealer and he said $635 sounds about right - the only thing is the dealer rep keeps telling me how I may need a flywheel which is $320 - I asked my mechanic ...he says no I seriously doubt you will need that - they just need to resurface it which is a part of the installation of the new clutch. I mentioned that to the dealer rep he said well we had a girl in here last week and her fly wheel was tore up....she couldn't shift anything ....well I said that I am not really having a hard time shifting...its just not clicking in...it slips and when I hit the gas there isn't much power like I am in a lower gear than I am in but I am able to get in all my slots....well he says you never know...

So any advice from you wonderful men who know your stuff about clutches and flywheels.....what do you think! I am so grateful for this website - I have learned alot from you and it helps tremendously for someone like me who is totally intimidated. Thank you!
[post=421021]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah i work at honda and thats how much we charge to do clutches on cars of that year. Unfortunately dealers are very expensive to have ur car serviced at, especially when its a job like that. Where are you located? Im in Queens, NY. Probably a shot in the dark but i could probably help u out. :)

again thank you for your candor and willingness to help - wish I found you all sooner - they already started on the car this morning - still have it overnight - will probably get it tomorrow...but next time...I will check around!

So hcivic.com...what did you do to blow the fly wheel....

wish I was near Queens...I am in Columbus Ohio....

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Nov 23 2004, 06:57 PM
what part of queens, i work right off merrick, like 2 mins from the locust manor train station.
[post=421304]Quoted post[/post]​

I live in queens, and i work at Millenium Honda in Garden City by the Roosevelt field area

ok...picked up the car...you ready for this....$786.68... :angry: not happy to say the least!!! However...it runs wonderful...its like a new car...didn't know how bad it was and what I was putting up with....oh well- HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL!

Dude, you got raped.

Oh yeah, and Happy Thanksgiving.

I would invest in tools and a shop manual when I have the chance, it will save you so much money in the long run.

Even though they overcharged you a bit, at least it's fixed, right?

I'm not trying to make it seem like you just wasted a bunch of money, but I did my clutch for about $200, 120 for the clutch, 35 for the resurface, and about 50 to lighten it up a little.

yea, find a guy freind that knows what he is doing with cars, read around here, and when you have a big job like that, have your freind help you and learn by doing. A clutch is alot easier then everyone makes it out to be. Truely, almost anything on a honda is rather simple to work on.

Back