going to have 2000-2500 to spend??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alyhandro

hey guys im new here, but just like the title says im going to have that much to spend on my first car, im still only 14 but want to know what i will be working on when i do get it. but i think in about a year and a half the 91 hatch should be cheaper too i hope maby i can find a nice one for around that much. but how much do you think i will be able to find a nice one for in about a year?

thx for the help guys....
-alex

lol no thx, like hatches more. But hey i will considering doing that saving more up and gettin b16 droped in. And finding a si model. how much does the b16 add? and is it like b16a or b16b? or just b16 im only 14 man so jw and getting everything straight.

thx
-alex

the b16 is about $1500 bucks. it wil give you double the hores power than the stock motor. you can find them here @ www.ardperformance.com or @ www.hmotorsonline.com i dont think the price of the hb would drop drastically but the si model is going to cost you a little more.my dx model was cheaper than my si. the only difference is that you need to change from dpfi to mpfi.

A b16 swap is far from $1500....

*full swap from Hmotors including LSD: $2100 shipped
*Mounts (hasport; the only way to go): $350
*Shift linkage: $50
*New Clutch: $300 (could be cheaper, but I LOVE my exedy organic street disk)
*replacement parts (timing belt, tensioner, seals/gaskets, dizzy, anything that could be bad): $0-$300

....thats about the full list, but its not just $1500, theres a lot more that you need to think of.

My whole swap was about $3500...but thats cuz I had an HF and I needed new front brakes and got new rims (cuz my old ones wouldn't fit over the new brakes...yada yada yada). You should be able to do the swap well (not ghetotastic) for arround $3000.

btw - I got my HF for $1000 and finding a DX hatch arround here (in iowa) for $500-$1500 is REALLY easy.

dont worry about the trim model if you want a cheap hatch just get the STD model it will cost less than the SI and if you wanna do the B series swap dont pay the extra cash for a motor that you will be ditching anyways.

Well, the Si has more than just the motor upgrade... Doesn't it have 4 wheel disc brakes, mpfi already in the car, b16 ready (as in you don't have to change the axles), not to mention you have a nicer interior to ride around in the Si. Of course, it all depends on what you want in your car. I could have gotten a 91 civic dx for $2000 back when I bought my integra. In the end, I kinda wish I had gone with the civic for the reasons that my car had so many things wrong with it from the get go. But I still like my integra way more than any civic, heavier and slower or not. I got what I wanted. Just make sure you spend your money on something YOU like.

^^^ You still have to use 90-93 teg axles and intermediate shaft w/ the b16 swap into an EF. However...you don't need to change out the hubs/knuckles with the Si or DX (you need to w/ the STD and HF).

Originally posted by ktanaka@May 31 2004, 07:31 PM

*full swap from Hmotors including LSD: $2100 shipped
*Mounts (hasport; the only way to go): $350
*Shift linkage: $50
*New Clutch: $300 (could be cheaper, but I LOVE my exedy organic street disk)
*replacement parts (timing belt, tensioner, seals/gaskets, dizzy, anything that could be bad):
My whole swap was about $3500...but thats cuz I had an HF and I needed new front brakes and got new rims (cuz my old ones wouldn't fit over the new brakes...yada yada yada). You should be able to do the swap well (not ghetotastic) for arround $3000.

btw - I got my HF for $1000 and finding a DX hatch arround here (in iowa) for $500-$1500 is REALLY easy.

Its not as bad as you make it sound bro, 1st you don't need LSD, 2nd no need to ship a motor unless you live in the boonies like you, 3rd hasport mounts are NOT the only way to go, AVID makes a GREAT mount kit for much less w/ lifetime warraenty, locally 215, saw them on honda-tech for 245, replacement parts are up to you, I'd say 60 bucks for timing belt, one thing though is the fluids,

Alyahandro, Big props for getting ideas and getting into this early!! The key to is to buy smart, take your time and get the deals out there, save for the car, then save for the motor and buy the deals which come along, check this out, Ktanaka did like most people and spent about 3100 dollars on his setup which is a great way to go, sounds like he did everything right, BUT you can do more for less, the b16 setup makes 160hp and 111tq (flywheeL) for 3100, I spent about 2000 and make over 220hp and 160 tq (flywheel guess) 200 and 145 at the wheels (b16 tranny from Steve@hmotors 300, b20 long block 600 from steve, Type R head from a friend, 600, avid mount kit 215, fluids 40, timing belt 50, axles 125, 20 oil feed line kit, ecu for 150), and I think I spent too much, I mean probably could have found a b20 block in a junkyard for less...so the key here is to get the cash and find the deals, also try to get to know some honda people, Im very involved in the industy out here and can get great prices on aftermarket stuff, free labor if i need it, its not what you know, its who you know, im sure that if you start now just getting the money and thinking about it, by the time your a senior in highschool, about 18, you will have a setup that will rip!!!!

hey b16crx thanks man i got ur aim cause i want to talk to you about some stuff. And i hope from starting now i will learn lots from you guys so when i am a senior i will have a setup that rips. Just like you said the the money, im trying to find a job to save up, but getting the money will be hard mom isnt going to help, but i will really want to do this, so good tips will help and finding deals also. but thanks guys

-alex

Stick with the Civic... when they talk about the axles and OBD's and such do you understand?

everyone is basically right, but B16 went with a TYPE R head on his B20VTEC conversion... you can simply use a B16 head which will run about $300-$400 complete. You also do not need to use a B20 block, you can use a LS or B18A1 or B18B1 (both are LS', [94-01] B1 is newer than [90-93]A1). An LS engine shouldnt cost more than 4-500 depending on miles etc.

Option C is swappin in an LS engine. All is exactly the same however you do now wire VTEC up and you can use the LS ecu.

check my sig for my AIM... ill chat wit ya

i was talking motor and tranny only not the complete swap. they do sell the complete swap for about a grand more the last time i checked.i dont have hasport mounts i have a set of place racing mounts there about $250 bucks. its not being cheap its just finding alternatives that work just as good "sometimes better" and are cheaper.

Originally posted by SpodaB1@Jun 1 2004, 05:48 PM
Stick with the Civic... when they talk about the axles and OBD's and such do you understand?

everyone is basically right, but B16 went with a TYPE R head on his B20VTEC conversion... you can simply use a B16 head which will run about $300-$400 complete. You also do not need to use a B20 block, you can use a LS or B18A1 or B18B1 (both are LS', [94-01] B1 is newer than [90-93]A1). An LS engine shouldnt cost more than 4-500 depending on miles etc.

Option C is swappin in an LS engine. All is exactly the same however you do now wire VTEC up and you can use the LS ecu.

check my sig for my AIM... ill chat wit ya

all true, info, especially the head, i got a killer deal cause it came off my buddies type R, BUT i would still go with the b20, the displacement makes a big difference...

Back