good advice needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dvus1

ok here's a overview of my question. im deploying for four months and im putting the car in storage, coz it snows here. whats a good way to take care of my car so when i get back it will start... :D

is taking the battery enougth <_<

put some fuel stabilizer in it so you dont gel up, surround the damn thing with mothballs and mousetraps.

make sure u dont get moisture on the interior, put a car blanket on it, if u can get a block heater if u are going to leave the fluids in it, if not take out all the fluids, and when u take the car outa storage make sure u do a FULL fluid change about a week after re-filling everything up, to get out all teh gunk. if u can get someone to start it up during this period, leave the fluids in, and say once a week for 10 mins, turn it on. let it warm up, put it through the gears, maybe move forward and back a little, just get everything flowing properly.

Four months isn't that long. You might put it on blocks, and do make sure that you keep rodents out of your intake and exhaust. I've seen rats make nests in intakes overnight.

i can't really leave the keys for the car, coz they might race the car. and besides im leaving my RSX :D

My car sat for six months while I was in Kosovo, with a jump,started right up and ran fine when I got home. My wife was supposed to start it every few days, but missed one week about a month into my deployment and the battery died, and it sat all winter in the snow till I got home. I jumped it and went driving.

yeah, watch out for the mildew...if you can ask your family or buddies to start it up atleast once every two weeks and ask them to let it get to operating temperature and then turn off, just trying to be nice on the motor.

Four months is really that long that you got to be worried about doing a lot of things.

My old civic sat outside in the grass with the cover on during winter (we have bad ass snow storms in NY). It ran fine after those four months.

I started the car and let it worm up and rev on it like four times a week though.

The only problem I encountered was that I needed a new bearing in my wheel b/c the car was not on blocks!

They say that taking out your battery, putting your car on blocks, covering the car, and making sure you have a full tank of gas is the most important thing to do in storing a car.

Like I said it all depends how long you are going to store the car and if someone is going to start it up or not every once in a while.

i agree with you,
They say that taking out your battery, putting your car on blocks, covering the car, and making sure you have a full tank of gas is the most important thing to do in storing a car.

and besides im putting the car in storage. my brother said put a rag to cover the intake filter for moisture... <_<

or just drive it to the bay area, san fran (where my brother at) :D

Back