Good Hid Kit?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So projector head light housings (even made for halogen bulbs) are not as bad? Thats what I've done on my Evo. So far no visual complaints from other drivers. :)

if i could find a cheap set of 01 Teg lights i'd start a retrofit... i like to take my time so i couldnt use the headlights on the car

Same here- plus want to have a backup in case I screw up the primary set. I'll probably be looking for a set for the wife's xB soon to start a retrofit. Her stock headlights are pretty good though- I could boost the output quite a bit with a beefy headlight harness (stock wires are TINY) and a set of the high output 85w Osram H4 bulbs- their rated output is something like 70% higher than standard H4 bulbs.

So projector head light housings (even made for halogen bulbs) are not as bad? Thats what I've done on my Evo. So far no visual complaints from other drivers. :)

They're quite a bit better, but not ideal. You'll get the cutoff for quite a bit of scatter reduction, but you still won't get the right beam pattern.

If you're going to go through the effort of opening up your headlights and screwing up the beam pattern more (you won't have a high beam anymore) then you should just go ahead and retrofit in a good pair of HID projectors. It's not like it costs that much more than a quality kit.
I dont get it. Half the headlight is low biem and the other half is high biem, 2 seperate bulbs. I would only do the low biem side, where the HIDs are going in.

I've seen a guy put one DC teggy projector in then a HID kit in a EF headlight.

attachment.php

IMG_0507.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
They're quite a bit better, but not ideal. You'll get the cutoff for quite a bit of scatter reduction, but you still won't get the right beam pattern.
As long as I don't piss off too many other drivers. The visibility is amazing compared to the halogens.

I dont get it. Half the headlight is low biem and the other half is high biem, 2 seperate bulbs. I would only do the low biem side, where the HIDs are going in.

I've seen a guy put one DC teggy projector in then a HID kit in a EF headlight.

Oh, well- I thought you were going to use regular headlights. I guess the CRX does have separate low and high beams anyway...

BUT the fluted glass in the stock headlight is going to scatter light everywhere regardless of what you try to do to block off the top of the beam. You COULD put a cutoff plate in there to make sure that nothing above the halfway point gets out of the headlight... which would be WAY better than just dropping in a kit- but you should still do a true retrofit.

As long as I don't piss off too many other drivers. The visibility is amazing compared to the halogens.

Eh. I'm surprised that the Cali cops don't hassle you.

Well whats your opinion on the pictures I posted above? He used halogen projectors and got that cut off line, I'm sure that would be a lot better than factory. When I get them in I will try and make something to block off falf the beam.

wont halogen projectors render the hid's basically useless?

ive heard the best way to go with hids is an actual hid projector.

wont halogen projectors render the hid's basically useless?

ive heard the best way to go with hids is an actual hid projector.
What do you mean "useless"?

Of course its best to use an HID projector. There are reasons not to; two being the cost and the effort of a retrofit.

What do you mean "useless"?

Of course its best to use an HID projector. There are reasons not to; two being the cost and the effort of a retrofit.

Yes! But I wouldn't want to make it dangerous out there for others.

Well whats your opinion on the pictures I posted above? He used halogen projectors and got that cut off line, I'm sure that would be a lot better than factory. When I get them in I will try and make something to block off falf the beam.

Those results are WAY better than you get with just dropping an HID "kit" into halogen housings- so if you want to go that route, go ahead. As for someone else's comments on them being useless, well- your beam pattern still won't be right (hotspots, dead spots) because you're using halogen optics with an HID beam, but at least you won't be blinding people. This is still more effort than a straight drop-in, so if you want to follow that path, go for it. I still say it's just as much effort to properly retrofit real HID projectors if you're going to go through all this to get your cutoff line on the halogens.

Yes! But I wouldn't want to make it dangerous out there for others.

Good.

Back