Good Hid Kit?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

heres a little chart to compare temps

hid_photos_compare.jpg

the 55watt ballast washes out some of the color so it makes it look a closer to 6k, maybe 6.5k color. and the 55watt make the lights brighter. the 55watt ballast is definately the $10 upgrade on ddmtuning. also, the slim ballast is very small, it doesn't hardly take any space up. i'd say the ballast is 3"x4" and only around 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick. i might go take a pic of the ballasts so ya'll can see how big they are compared to the engine bay and maybe take a video of startup and full warm up on the bulbs.

Last edited:
^ threadjack much?

Retrofit but i say brighter bulbs than 5 go 6 if u can. 8 prefered. what do BMW's use?

I found standard H1 bulbs in my BMW projectors that I scooped out of a junk yard. Late 80's or early 90's.

the 55watt ballast washes out some of the color so it makes it look a closer to 6k, maybe 6.5k color. and the 55watt make the lights brighter. the 55watt ballast is definately the $10 upgrade on ddmtuning. also, the slim ballast is very small, it doesn't hardly take any space up. i'd say the ballast is 3"x4" and only around 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick. i might go take a pic of the ballasts so ya'll can see how big they are compared to the engine bay and maybe take a video of startup and full warm up on the bulbs.
That would be cool of you. :)

Since I'm a new to this.....are they usually bright enough that you don't have to use the high beims?

That would be cool of you. :)

Since I'm a new to this.....are they usually bright enough that you don't have to use the high beims?

yeah my low beams are pretty bright. the bulbs with built in high beam have a solenoid that click the bulb up slightly so it shines more light, they shine really far. i will take a vid tomorrow in night time of course lol and post it up. i have a high/lo kit so i have both built in, but on your ef i'd just get the low beam kit unless your can get your low beam style bulb in a hi/lo combo.

I don't think I can get the 9006 in lo/hi. I'd imagine it would look weird with half HID and half dull yellow. lol

Lookin foreward to this vid man. :)

Just ordered the DDM Tuning 6000K 35w 9006 kit. I was reading the 55w kits can overheat, blind others and burn the bulb out too fast.

$75 after shipping...probably $100 after currency differences and duty, ect.

Just ordered the DDM Tuning 6000K 35w 9006 kit. I was reading the 55w kits can overheat, blind others and burn the bulb out too fast.

$75 after shipping...probably $100 after currency differences and duty, ect.

ANY "kit" will blind others.

Just this weekend, I was driving in front of a Mustang that had an HID "kit" installed in his headlights. Even over a mile back, he was throwing enough scatter to really blind me. He was brighter than the 18 wheelers just 10 car lengths behind me.

Really. Make things safe for everyone else out there. Do a proper retrofit.

As much as your hate cal's post he is correct. I have a peeve with trucks that can do thousands of dollars worth of lifts, but can't take 5 minutes to correctly adjust their heads from blinding EVERYTHING in their path.

As much as your hate cal's post he is correct. I have a peeve with trucks that can do thousands of dollars worth of lifts, but can't take 5 minutes to correctly adjust their heads from blinding EVERYTHING in their path.

Yup.

My car is slammed. :D

You really think that a few inches makes the tiny bit of difference when you're blinding people over a mile away? Seriously...

I almost NEVER flame people online because I try to keep things nice and civic, but really- HID kits installed into incandescant housings suck. Really really really suck.

Yup.

You really think that a few inches makes the tiny bit of difference when you're blinding people over a mile away? Seriously...

I almost NEVER flame people online because I try to keep things nice and civic, but really- HID kits installed into incandescant housings suck. Really really really suck.

:werd:

I do a lot of highway driving and when some retard with a "hid" kit comes behind me or like cal said 10 car lengths back he/she still blinds the fuck out of me. It dosent matter if they are in the other lane, the beam is everywhere!

Get a HID projector and spare peoples eyes. ;)

If you're going to go through the effort of opening up your headlights and screwing up the beam pattern more (you won't have a high beam anymore) then you should just go ahead and retrofit in a good pair of HID projectors. It's not like it costs that much more than a quality kit.

if i could find a cheap set of 01 Teg lights i'd start a retrofit... i like to take my time so i couldnt use the headlights on the car

Back