good set of tools

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectDx

i was looking at the sears catalog for tools and came upon too many sets. i saw this set for $1,000 it has 546 pieces. i doubt i'll need THAT many for your basic honda/acura swap/maintenance job, so does anyone have a suggestion on a good set of tools?

i am a fan of craftsman- I rarely break their tools and when I do, a new one is just a trip to sear's away

that said, I have a mechanics set that prolly has 500 pieces or so

do i need that many tools? no

have i used almost every one of them? yeah

it's nice to have the exact part for the job, rather than making due with what you have- And besides that, craftsman tools will last you a lifetime because you can just return them when they're busted :)

you ONLY need Metric for one. Most sets come with a mix of 2, but its not needed really. A 20 peice standard tool kit is all you need for ASE sizes. As for hondas, there are not alot of sizes used. Really, I can almost do an entire engine swap and only useing about 15 tools. Craftsman tools are nice. They are semireliable, but the major thing they having going for them is their SUPER lax return policy. I have some husky tools that I LOVE, but I broke one, and I had to go to three diffrent homedepots before they would actually replace it Sears style. Some HD are cooler then others. I have heard some that will actuallly allow you to bring in craftsman broken tools and get replacement Huskies.

As for what you need

Normal metric sizes 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch drive tools.

Good breaker bar (1/2 inch)
Flared wrenches for fluid lines
Your normal Plier sets. I have some champion pilers that I got for really cheap and work well.
32mm socket if you own a civic or a integra. 36mm if you own an accord or prelude for axle nut.
You will never have every tool unless you spend a shit load of money, but overall, with my collection, I rarely have to buy tools anymore.

Craftsman is all i buy. I baught a nice like 250 or 300 peace set and a roll away. If you buy just the tools wihtout some lil case you get more for your money. All i buy is craftsman though i have a snap on swivel wrachet i would die without. my favorite wrachet for all sittuations.

Quality starts with snap on and then craftsman though snam on is expensive and craftsman makes up for its slite less duribuilty with its lax return service witch i think is better seeing as how they will be around till we all die (sears that is)

I rock all craftsman from my Tq wrench, multi meter, Vacuum gauage, and air tools, to my brand new 33 galon compressor. :worthy:

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 28 2004, 09:34 PM
. A 20 peice standard tool kit is all you need for ASE sizes.

ASE is the certification I have. SAE is what non- metric tools are measured in. ;)

ASE: Automotive Service Excellence.

SAE: Society of Automotive Engineers.

Craftsman gets my vote, there may be better tools out there but none that have 15-20 different locations in my area that are willing to give me the same good customer service.

Its truly amazing the reputation craftsman has made for itself. There are some guys in nascar still using tools passed down from friends and fathers in the 60's.

Originally posted by UDT@Oct 28 2004, 11:12 PM
Its truly amazing the reputation craftsman has made for itself. There are some guys in nascar still using tools passed down from friends and fathers in the 60's.
[post=408904]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a bunch of old 60's craftsman tools from my dad. A little rusted but still work fine.

I like snapon, grey, craftsman, and motorcraft all good all life time warennties with zero hassel exchanges.
if your gona do any work get a small comperssor and a decent impact wrench, and air ratchet

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Oct 28 2004, 10:41 PM
I like snapon, grey, craftsman, and motorcraft all good all life time warennties with zero hassel exchanges.
if your gona do any work get a small comperssor and a decent impact wrench, and air ratchet
[post=408918]Quoted post[/post]​

How small is small? If you mean a five gallon compressor, it's not going to be enough. For any air tools, you'll need at least 15 gallons.

that craftman catalog sucks ass. the actual set itself at sears is more than 40% less than the given price. i think they made that book just for unsuspecting college students.

the catalog is overly priced to accomodate for the 40% discount for students. if you were to go to sears and get those same tools it'll be less than even if you're a student and getting the discount but ordering from that book. i know, i've checked it over with my own tools i got from sears and done a few adding and subtracting. and the results....that catalog is a huge rip-off if you're a student or not.

I have noticed that the ratchet handles made in the last 10 years suck ass. The earlier ones work much smoother. The last 1/4 drive that i got has a catch in it that is very annoying. That being said, I have used them professionaly for 20 years and I have rarely found the need for more expensive tools.

craftsman ratcheting tools arecheap crap to say the least. dont get me wrong i have pelnty of craftsman tools, of which most are the proffessional line.but their ratchets just suck. anywho other than that i love my snap on tools and never have had a problem with them and have also put them through things a craftsman tool would never withstand. mac also makes a good tool as well, and are better priced than snap on

I agree that craftsman could come up with a beter overall handle design and what not but other then that im 100% happy but i guess thats why you always catch me with my snap on wrachet with the screw driver type handle.

I'm gonna have to stick with my MAC tools. Being in college i get a 50% dicount but i still manged to spend $4000 this semester. I use most of them and the best part is that if i break somthing they will bring a replacement to me.

I use nothing but snap-on and matco, But for the average DIY'er craftsman will get the job done.

Back