got a few problems w/the poopra.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trappd-in-859

Well my fuck-up of a car has been giving me shit for about a month now and I need some help diagnosing

some problems. First, when I go to start my car on cold days(like below 40) it takes a really long time

before the car actually starts. Now it could be that it takes a while for all the fluids to start moving through

the lines,which I hope it is, or it could be bigger than that. Secondly, I have small puddles of water come out

of my exhaust when im starting it up, dont know why really. Finally, everytime I drive this car, without fail,

the temp. gauge goes almost to the red and suddenly just drops back down, then usually stays normal the

rest of the time im driving.

Forgive me if these are retarded questions, but I really am concerned considering this is my only mode of

transportation to and from school and work.

TIA for helping me to figure out these problems.

Cold starts are usually a result of maybe something in the ignition system, or the starter (relay, fuse, etc). Get some new plugs, maybe a new relay and hope it works.

Water? As long as it's not coolant - you're fine. H20 is a regular result of the catalyst doing it's job.

The temp problem you speak of sounds like either a sluggish thermostat, a f00ked temp sensor, or maybe even a faulty radiator cap.

It isnt the plugs, just got those replaced over the summer. Same deal with the thermostat. Dont know how old the cap is but that could be a problem tho. Where is the temp sensor located, or is it different on every car?

Thanks for the help.

AWait 40 minutes for a drunkjen celerity response. Begin timers. I have a pixzaa to go get.

Quoted post[/post]]
Well my fuck-up of a car has been giving me shit for about a month now and I need some help diagnosing
some problems. First, when I go to start my car on cold days(like below 40) it takes a really long time before the car actually starts. Now it could be that it takes a while for all the fluids to start moving through the lines,which I hope it is, or it could be bigger than that.

Fuel pump is weak, lines have a kink or the lines may be rusty.

Secondly, I have small puddles of water come out of my exhaust when im starting it up, dont know why really. Finally, everytime I drive this car, without fail, the temp. gauge goes almost to the red and suddenly just drops back down, then usually stays normal the rest of the time im driving.

BLOWN HEAD GASKET !

Told ya so.

So even though my coolant overflow tank has no oil in it its still a blown HG? Damn, I guess its time to look

for another car. I now know that I should have listened to you from the beginning man. Oh well, you live

you learn right?

I dont think it is a head gasket personally. you can pull the head and find out, but id check the temp sensor first, and im not sure if the MKIII has a knock sensor, but if its throwing a code youve got somewhere to start. Detonation will DEFINITELY make your temperatures rise.

The knock sensor, if it works, sends a code. It will also retard the car majorly.

Supra head gaskets aren't that obvious. You're in the beginning stage of one. 2 more weeks and you'll be billowing smoke: Still, more than likely, without seeing oil in the coolant (But you'll see coolant in the oil!). Smell the exhaust.

But you should always start simple: Thermostat, replace or remove for testing. Cap, all that stuff is a good point to start with any car.

Well, I fixed the starting problem. There were two wires coming off the air intake that were disconnected so I hooked em up and bam, problem solved.

I also did some research and found that I have all the signs of a blown HG. Gurgling sound coming from dash, white smoke out of exhaust, and increased coolant usage. I can say that im fucked lol.

Taking the head off is easier said than done. I am by no means mechanically inclined so id have to take it to a garage for that.

Not throwing any codes that I know of. CEL was on but turned off when I reconnected the wires I mentioned above.

Actually, taking the head off isn't that bad. The worst is in the timing path and some difficult to reach exhaust bolts (Two bolts that you can get to only with a crescent wrench, on both sides). Then obey the torque specs and patterns, and you're there.

If you have a weekend to kill on it, you can definately do it.

Back