Got A Job! Finally!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

I've been applying for jobs for a while now. I have been looking for any kind of entry level job in architecture/engineering or something related. Most have been for AutoCAD positions, some for other various stuff. I hated serving food, and i'm not sure if it was a combination of me having no interest at all in the job or the fact that all my employers were shitty, but i couldn't stand to stay at a restaurant for more than 6-8 months before i had to get the hell out of there. It had nothing to do with my career and i fuckin hated being treated like shit by customers for shitty min wage and their crappy ass tips.

So i finally got around to getting my AutoCAD classes out of the way last semester and this one, so i have been applying for positions. I have had more than a few interviews and had no luck. I did end up getting a 2nd interview at a construction company. The interview was for this morning at 830. Well yesterday was my Bday so me and the GF went out to dinner and a late movie. I came home and got my clothes ready for this morning, but when i crashed out, i forgot to take my phone off vibrate from the theater. So i ended up waking up at 9, haha. I called and said that i thought it was at 930, not 830, so they rescheduled for 2pm.

I walked into the interview thinking i had blown my chance at the job. They asked me some more in depth questions about how i did stuff in Acad, and about school, my schedule, stuff like that. Then basically the guys that were interviewing me said thats it, and they kind of talked a little between them, and said i was hired. I guess there were a few others who had been in throughout the day for their 2nd interview also, some with a lot more qualifications than me, and some with a lot less.

So i start on monday. 12 bucks an hour, not a lot at all, but i get a review every 90 days, and i will be 1 of only 2 people in the office that can do 3D rendering, so i'm sure i will be able to ask for a decent bump in pay. They are totally working around my school schedule, which is 4 classes this semster, 14 units. And the best part is that they are going to help pay for school, up to 4 thousand a year.

So yea, its a pretty good job for me. Its my first "real" job, and i'm stoked that its one that leads straight into my career path.

Congrats. :) I've been getting the shaft lately from a lot of employers. And not like that, either. Hopefully this job treats you well. :) My dad was a mechanical engineer working with ACAD for years...

start to learn solidworks or some other type of solid modeling package, you'll find many more opportunities in the future for drafting or mechanical engineering jobs as most are using solid modeling these days

I have solidworks on my comp, but haven't started to learn it much yet. Solidworks isn't used much in architecture, but if i decide to pursue engineering that's definitely going to be the next program i learn. As of right now, i want to get comfortable with 3D studio, and i also need to learn a similar 3D program that this company uses that is specifically for outdoor living spaces like decks/patios. As of right now, one of the guys that interviewed me is the only one in the offie that can do the 3D stuff, and i will be the second, which is good because it makes me a little more valuable to them, which hopefully will equate to a raise in 90 days.

Nice. i just checked my email and found out i got into San Francisco State for Engineering for the spring semester.

Back