Got a new toy, but it's lonely

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Havok

gallery_8_32_1091423684.jpg

Alright, I got a new TV, Sony rear-projection 46 inch HDTV. Problem is, I see all the accesories for this shit and I get confused. right now it's hooked up to digital cable (hard to see, but the very bottom box) and the Home-theatre-in-a-box (silver thing right above the digital cable and below the tv) I am getting a reciver and better DVD player to replace the POS home theatre, but anyone have a HDTV and can recommend what cables and adapters to buy for best video and audio?

Right now the DVD player is hooked up to the TV via S-Video, and I know the make a HDTV adapter for the Xbox, got S video on that as well right now. So, any recommendations or thoughts on what I should get for the TV for best visual and audio performance.

BTW, this was my Tanabe Sustec Pro SS ITR suspension and IRT LCA's--Eric is gonna give me shit. :)

I used to be a home theater guru...but I gave up a long time ago...so I can't help you in that department.

But what I can suggest....to get a better picture or better veiwing pleasure out of your new toy.....is to move the chairs and sofa in front of it....it will be easier on the back and neck ;)

Originally posted by Airjockie@Aug 2 2004, 11:00 AM
But what I can suggest....to get a better picture or better veiwing pleasure out of your new toy.....is to move the chairs and sofa in front of it....it will be easier on the back and neck ;)
[post=371443]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You witty bastard you!!

i always wanted to get into that but its too much money and i really dont think i watch enought tv and movies to spend that much money. Myabe one day when im rich.

monster cables are by far the best out there. you do need a reciever for hdtv, unless its built in already..

ive got a 27" tv, a Sony 600W home theatre sys, a nintendo, and a PS2 but i spend most of my time at home staring into my iguanas cage :shrug2:
i would have gotten a bigger TV but that was when i decided that my car was slow and needed a swap :D

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 2 2004, 08:43 AM
Go full-component video.
[post=371463]Quoted post[/post]​

Werd, that and a good progresive scan dvd player will do wonders for your eyes.

component video is a cable type that splits gama colors into RBG arrarys and carries its own color on its own cable. hence, why there's 3 of them.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm

moster cable is just a cable... they make rca, speaker, optical, coax, and s and compnent. its all about how you hook it up.

the BEST way for the money, IMO (some of these cables are liek $60 each for 2'):

DVD player to receiver:
digitial coax for sound
component for video

receiver to tv:
dvi if you have an hdtv input (will process 1080i)
else, component video in

I prefer the optical cable for sound versus coax. I've used both. The coax sometimes makes a click sound when the dvd player comes on.

Component video is the way to go. Don't spend a million dollars on cables unless you think you have a major problem with picture quality. For $30-$50, you could get pretty good cables. The salesmen will try to talk you into really expensive cables that you don't need. JND. Just noticeable difference. Is there a difference, yes. Will you see it, no.

:werd: I also prefer the optical cable. Just get a good set of cables. Don't go too crazy. Like tab said you probably won't noitce much of a difference. The only way spending stupid money on cables is if you plan on spending thousands on components.

Personally, when I go all out on a system, I buy the best stuff.

I'd go component sound, and optical video myself. If I build a new system soon using sunfire speakers for my house like I want to, I'll only, only use top of the line cable.

Personally, to me buying mediocre cables is like buying a bmw and putting kumho's on it or something.

You mean component video and optical sound?

I wasn't telling him to buy 2 dollar rcas, but somethings pretty good. If he had a 40 dollar cable and a 150 dollar cable with his system he wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I'll probably get the Onkyo receiver soon, and then replace the POS home theater all in one with a good DVD player, and run all component shit. I'm looking for good quality sound, I don't need a ton of bass to blow away my neighboor downstairs.

Originally posted by Havok@Aug 2 2004, 11:00 PM
I'll probably get the Onkyo receiver soon, and then replace the POS home theater all in one with a good DVD player, and run all component shit. I'm looking for good quality sound, I don't need a ton of bass to blow away my neighboor downstairs.
[post=371754]Quoted post[/post]​

I've heard good stuff about that Onkyo, but I don't think I've seen one in person yet. One optical cable, and your sound will be breathtaking. I only have 5.1 surround sound and it is great quality. I detest crappy sound. Just spend your money where it counts. Spend more money on the TV and reciever, or speakers. Get good cables, without breaking the bank.

My buddy just bought a 65" HDTV over the 4th of July. The people at the store wanted him to buy a $150 surge protector, $200 worth of cables, and a whole bunch of other BS. I made sure he bought a good($50) surge protector, and picked out some decent cables for him($40 monster cable, component video) and optical cable for his surround sound. His picture is kick ass, and he can still take the wifey out to dinner. :)

Yeah, I got the monster surge protector, probably the same one as he did for 49.99, but they didn't try to sell other shit to me I didn't need, which was good. That's the only cable accessory I purchased, because I was unsure.

My TV does have DVI, but I don't think it's worth 120.00 for the cable. I will probably get a 6.1 Onkyo receiver to hold me over...50 watts through 5.1, as opposed to 6.1 sound with 75 watts to each speaker will be quite a difference. I still need to ditch the POS home theatre in a box system, and buy some better speakers. My Xbox fucked up, so that's another 150, and the HDTV for that is 20 bucks, so just the TV will do for now. :)

Back