got a VPN question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

so my roommate set up a VPN for our server at home. now when i am at school and i log onto it, it connects, but i don't know how to pull up the explorer window to look at the files on the server. does anyone know how to do that?

type in: \\yourmachinename

thats the name in your computer properties

note, a folder must be shared and have rights for you to look at for "Everyone" or set up the proper crudentials.

well my roommate got me on there when he was showing me all the stuff, i just can't remember. he's always out of town for work, so i never get to ask and find out.

so your saying to type on the server name in the address bar?

\\machinename\c$ will get you the C drive, as long as you are an "administrator" on that machine, through your VPN login.

you can do the same for any of the drives on that machine, d$ e$

That is only if the drives are shared, and shared as c$. You can be an admin all you want, but if the drives aren't shared you are SOL. Microsoft wasn't THAT stupid.

If you have a VPN Setup so that you can access anything on any PC on the VPN as long as you have admin rights, then you have something setup SERIOUSLY wrong.

Back