Got another Taste of the american legal system.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Well, I got yet another taste of the american legal system today, via jury duty. Some smaller cities survive solely from the revenue of traffic tickets. Now I see how they can warp anything to their advantage.

I got this in the mail a few days ago..

jury.jpg

Now, a short story / my thoughts on the whole thing.

I show up at 8:20am, finish my coffee, check in, and step into the court room. Roughly 20 jurrors have been summoned to this "municiple" case. Someone is fighting a traffic ticket. No prob. We all get sworn in, sit down, and the prosecuting attorney calls the attention of the court. She (the defendant) is fighting a no insurance and no Driver's licenses ticket. (Ok.. The first thought.. Did the bitch have insurance and a license or not?? She did not.) There were 4 officers in the room who were "witnesses". Now, I could see fighting a speeding ticket, or a failure to stop ticket or whatever, but this was a complete waste of time. So this bitch is clearly abusing the legal system.

I hate her already.

Anyway, we must rewind just a little.. Before being sworn in, there was roll call of the jurrors. 5 failed to appear, and were immediately fined $100 each by the judge. Isn't that magical. Even if she wins and they have to drop the case, the court just made $500. Now this bitch has inconvenienced 20 of us, gotten 5 people fined $100 each, simply because she didn't want to pay her fucking tickets.

Anyway, the case goes on. She sits silently in her chair, squirming every once in a while. The prosecuting attorney absolutely slaughters her and she doesn't even make a statement NOT A WORD. Case closed. She gets fined I forget how much for each incident + "court costs".

A complete waste of fucking time, and the state made around $1k in a matter of 10 minutes. We are now excused.

P.S. In my experience working as a bail bondsman, let me tell you a little more about those 5 poor bastards who failed to appear and got fined. IF they did not change their address with the state, the state mailed the jury duty card to the wrong address. They will now get another letter stating that they have been fined and will have to show up for court within 10 working days. This will go to the same bad address. They will not show for court, and now they have a "contempt of court" charge as well as a "failure to appear" (fta) charge. FTA's in the municiple court generally cost somewhere between $250-500.. Anyway, for failing to appear a warrant is issued for their arrest. They get pulled over in bum-fucked egypt for speeding or whatever. The cop arrests them, has their car towed, puts them in jail where they have to make bail. So, this is where the bondsman's pockets get greased. Anyway, we get our money, then they have to show up for court again. This time they actually know about it and show up. Of course after paying the towing company up to three times the normal tow fee, and the bail bondsman his fee. Now the judge says "plead no contest, we'll fine you $100 for contempt of court and $250 (or whatever) for the failure to appear. Plus a surcharge for your arrest and "court costs"". The poor bastard drops his $700 in the secretary's lap, snags his receipt and heads out the door.

"And that my friends, is the rest of the story."

Just think of the loop if the poor bastard pleads "not guilty".. It is infinitive.

i'm 25 and i've YET to even get a letter to go serve jury duty... its weird. a lot of my friends have gone, my parenst have gone a couple times that i can rememeber... and me, i've yet to get a letter. i don't know...

at least ct pays $50 a day :p

Quoted post[/post]]
i'm 25 and i've YET to even get a letter to go serve jury duty... its weird. a lot of my friends have gone, my parenst have gone a couple times that i can rememeber... and me, i've yet to get a letter. i don't know...

at least ct pays $50 a day :p

$50????

we get $6 a day. No fucking joke.

its great too. cuz if you're a salary employee like me, you not only get paid for the day of work you just took off, you get 50 bucks on top of it. :p

ha i have never been called and when i am I'm wearing a white bed sheet with a hood

lol, they caught on to people like you around here
if you displayed racist tendencies etc they would send you to a court ordered "tolerance class"
bahahaha

I've never served on jury duty. When it's my time, I don't think I'll mind.

Hey, it's something different.

As far as being part of the legal meatgrinder, You're part of that :)

Bounty Hunters, repo men, security guards, body guards and other privateers, All part of a grander problem.

i got a letter for it once but i just called them and told them i couldnt come and they excused me
took like 2 minutes over the phone, no hassle whatsoever

Bounty Hunters, repo men, security guards, body guards and other privateers, All part of a grander problem

besides the bounty man, how are the others involved in the judicial system in any way?
and they're not the problem, just a byproduct of the system...

Quoted post[/post]]
ha i have never been called and when i am I'm wearing a white bed sheet with a hood

lol, they caught on to people like you around here
if you displayed racist tendencies etc they would send you to a court ordered "tolerance class"
bahahaha

i know people who have gone in trying shit like that
they just made them sit in the jury waiting room all fucking day

ive never been summoned either, but ive heard that they get you on the "list" when you register to vote not sure on how true that is. im not registered nor do i plan to. but again im still young (20) so only time will tell. my brother on the other hand, is 19, and got jury duty like right after he registered to vote.

That was my second time to go.

first time the people took the plea bargain before court ever started, the second time was for stupid shit.. both were a complete waste of everyone's time and money.

Quoted post[/post]]
Anyway, the case goes on. She sits silently in her chair, squirming every once in a while. The prosecuting attorney absolutely slaughters her and she doesn't even make a statement NOT A WORD. Case closed. She gets fined I forget how much for each incident + "court costs".
in NJ either one is 183 a piece plus court fees which bring it to about 195 a piece. then again NJ has just instated a 250 dollar fee if you plee anything down.

soooo basically, last time i got a no insurance ticket and wreckless driving ticket i got to pay 183 for no insurance, then the 250 bribe to plee down the wreckless driving. i was doing nothing wrong except that i was a 19 year old in a slightly modded integra. and the best part was that the cop misread my insurance card and said it was expired. it wasnt you iliterate SOB.

sorry about the rant but this just proves that courts can do whatever they want.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
in NJ either one is 183 a piece plus court fees which bring it to about 195 a piece. then again NJ has just instated a 250 dollar fee if you plee anything down.

soooo basically, last time i got a no insurance ticket and wreckless driving ticket i got to pay 183 for no insurance, then the 250 bribe to plee down the wreckless driving. i was doing nothing wrong except that i was a 19 year old in a slightly modded integra. and the best part was that the cop misread my insurance card and said it was expired. it wasnt you iliterate SOB.

sorry about the rant but this just proves that courts can do whatever they want.

For the record, I believe you're wrong in your interpretation of the $250 surcharge.

I, also, had to pay the $250 surcharge for my one and only moving violation that occured in a speed trap in east bumblefuck New Jersey, coming home through 206 South through Milford. Anyway, I had to pay the surcharge because I plead down my violation that involved points. If the violation DOES NOT INVOLVE POINTS then there is not a surcharge as far as I know.

As far as the insurance card, you should have been able to take that down to the local police station the day after you got the ticket and the violation should have been dropped to "failure to show documentation" or dropped all together. You got the short end of the stick on that one.

Quoted post[/post]]
ive never been summoned either, but ive heard that they get you on the "list" when you register to vote not sure on how true that is. im not registered nor do i plan to. but again im still young (20) so only time will tell. my brother on the other hand, is 19, and got jury duty like right after he registered to vote.

I also think this is incorrect as well. You don't have to be a registered voter to be a jurer, but when you turn 18 and you're a male you have to register for the draft.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

For the record, I believe you're wrong in your interpretation of the $250 surcharge.

I, also, had to pay the $250 surcharge for my one and only moving violation that occured in a speed trap in east bumblefuck New Jersey, coming home through 206 South through Milford. Anyway, I had to pay the surcharge because I plead down my violation that involved points. If the violation DOES NOT INVOLVE POINTS then there is not a surcharge as far as I know.

As far as the insurance card, you should have been able to take that down to the local police station the day after you got the ticket and the violation should have been dropped to "failure to show documentation" or dropped all together. You got the short end of the stick on that one.
doesnt work that way. if you are caught without any documentation in NJ you get the ticket even if you have all valid documents.

and the surcharge is a bribe to not get points, pure and simple. its not like there are extra papers to fill out when someone gets something plead down that it takes $250 in man hours to handle. NJ is notorious for "surcharges" that make charges go away.

another great example, there is a bar in belmar, nj called anticipation aka bar-a. over the winter they do very little carding and allow for underage kids to drink. then during the summer they bring in extra security and cut it down. well my cousin was unaware of this and tried to get in over the summer. slapped with an underage drinking ticket among other things. the day she went to court there were 20+ others people there for the same reason. they allowed them to pay $1000 in order for the charge to be deleted off their record. they also wouldnt allow you to pay in installments, it was pay all now or your fucked. NJ takes advantage of alot of situations to collect more money.

im lucky i know a few cops in my area with pull or that one would have seriously beat the hell out of my bank account.

Back