Greatest band thread.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dio - 4
Black Sabbath- 4 *cough* kill ... :)
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 5 save ... bahaha
def leppard-

Best Bands:
Beastie Boys
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Pink Floyd
RHCP
Journey
AC/DC

Dio - 4
Black Sabbath-3 kill
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 5
def leppard- 5 save

Best Bands:
Beastie Boys
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Pink Floyd
RHCP
Journey
AC/DC

]Dio - 4
Black Sabbath-2 kill
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 6 save
def leppard- 5

Best Bands:
Beastie Boys
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Pink Floyd
RHCP
Journey
AC/DC

lets take him out y0!

]Dio - 4
Black Sabbath- 3 SAVE
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 6
def leppard- 4 KILL

OMG Seriously? Tony Iommi pioneered modern rock and metal as we know it. I simply reference the fact that somebody voted that the Beastie Boys were one of the greatest bands ever. Do any of them even play instruments? If you think a bunch of Jewish wiggers are better than Sabbath....there is no hope...

Dio - 4
Black Sabbath- 2 kill
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 6
def leppard- 5 save

i dont think beastie boys should be on there either

The Beastie Boys have been around for almost 20 years now. They have tons of songs that are widely known and they are some of the original pinoneers in mainstream hip hop. I am not even a fan of hip hop or rap for that matter but I do like the Beastie Boys, and they do deserve to be up there. Regardless of what genre of music it falls in. UNDR8D you of all people shouldn't discriminate and say they shouldn't be up there because of the genre. Next to Metal, rap and hip hop has always been one of the most frowned upon genres of music.

As for the votes:
Dio - 4
Black Sabbath- 3 save
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 5 kill
def leppard- 5

The Beastie Boys have been around for almost 20 years now. They have tons of songs that are widely known and they are some of the original pinoneers in mainstream hip hop. I am not even a fan of hip hop or rap for that matter but I do like the Beastie Boys, and they do deserve to be up there. Regardless of what genre of music it falls in. UNDR8D you of all people shouldn't discriminate and say they shouldn't be up there because of the genre. Next to Metal, rap and hip hop has always been one of the most frowned upon genres of music.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your position. I wasn't discriminating based on genre. I was discriminating based on merit. There are hundreds even thousands of bands that have been around for 20+ years, had "hit" songs, etc.. This does not qualify any of them as one of the greatest bands of all time. I do not want to start a debate about the merits of different genres of music or about music in general. The general listening public likes shitty music, so, hit songs are not an accurate measure of a band's talent or influence. Also, "pioneering" in a genre that is as hollow and musically uninvolved as rap is meaningless. I don't want to hear about how great rap is. I've heard it all. I don't hate rap/hip-hop. I love The Roots, who play and write for a full jazz backing band and incorporate strong elements of more sophisticated music types. I love some good gritty underground. I love the brutality of M.O.P. and I love old Nas, Planet Asia, Canibus, Busta Rhymes. This new shit though....Yun who? :confused:

But this is a "rap" group that has been around for 20 years and has written hit after hit after hit. They have been popular through out this 20 year run. They still have multiple songs on the radio on a primarily rock stations here in Colorado. Even I can name tons of their songs and they were popular before I was even born. I don't really qualify the Beastie Boys as just general popular rap these days. I think they kind of follow the same genre type as Rage Against the Machine. By the way when they pioneered this genre it wasn't like the rap of today. However this is all matter of opinion. I respect yours.

But this is a "rap" group that has been around for 20 years and has written hit after hit after hit. They have been popular through out this 20 year run. They still have multiple songs on the radio on a primarily rock stations here in Colorado. Even I can name tons of their songs and they were popular before I was even born. I don't really qualify the Beastie Boys as just general popular rap these days. I think they kind of follow the same genre type as Rage Against the Machine. By the way when they pioneered this genre it wasn't like the rap of today. However this is all matter of opinion. I respect yours.

As I do yours. My point is simply that, although they may be great, popular, or otherwise, do they really qualify as one of the greatest bands of all time? Look at the other bands on the list...epic. "One of these things is not like the others..." It doesn't really matter anyway. It's just fun to bitch about something.

Dio - 4
Black Sabbath- 4 SAVE
Alice In Chains - 9 KILL
Queen - 5
def leppard- 5

the way i say whats a great band is if they sing well put on a good show and have good songs and have great chemistry with each other i could care less if they had a hit or not and there are a few bands that i cant stand to hear but i still think there a great band

in your opinion theres millions by those standards to me theres only maybe 30 lol

oy with the fail in this thread. can someone bring the best list back with their next post? this thread is a shambles otherwise.

ps rock the beastie boys - i guarantee more people know more beastie boy lyrics and riffs than know dio or sabbath lyrics and riffs. sad that it may be, it is truth. the beastie boys are faaaaaar more relevant to the music industry and are not just some historical hair and metal band. those have their place too. diversity is cool.

ok now where's the damn list of bands so i can vote. :D

Here you go dacheat. This thread did go to hell really quick.

Dio - 4
Black Sabbath- 3 SAVE
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 5 KILL
def leppard- 5

Best Bands:
Beastie Boys
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Pink Floyd
RHCP
Journey
AC/DC

rep, yo! :)

Dio - 4
Black Sabbath- 4 SAVE
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 4 KILL
def leppard- 5

Best Bands:
Beastie Boys
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Pink Floyd
RHCP
Journey
AC/DC

oy with the fail in this thread. can someone bring the best list back with their next post? this thread is a shambles otherwise.

ps rock the beastie boys - i guarantee more people know more beastie boy lyrics and riffs than know dio or sabbath lyrics and riffs. sad that it may be, it is truth. the beastie boys are faaaaaar more relevant to the music industry and are not just some historical hair and metal band. those have their place too. diversity is cool.

ok now where's the damn list of bands so i can vote. :D

More people know Flock of Seagulls lyrics than Dio lyrics. I guess flock of seagulls and their one song qualify them as one of the greatest bands of all time...

dude, that's a freakin stretch. gawd. if you're not voting on bands, gtfo of this thread - i like you and all but you sowing dissent in here is getting teh old. :slap:

who the hell is flock of seagulls? and honestly...I think everyone knows Holy Diver... especially since Killswitch remade it.

Dio - 4
Black Sabbath- 5 SAVE
Alice In Chains - 10
Queen - 3 KILL
def leppard- 5

Best Bands:
Beastie Boys
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Pink Floyd
RHCP
Journey