Greetings from russia.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smirnoff or grey goose are not true vodkas. real vodka is made from potatoes not grain. Chopin (spelling) made by belvidere is the cheapest potato vodka i can think of.

Vodka Facts

Vodka is the dominant spirit of Eastern Europe. It is made by fermenting and then distilling the simple sugars from a mash of pale grain or vegetal matter. Vodka is produced from grain, potatoes, molasses, beets, and a variety of other plants. Rye and wheat are the classic grains for Vodka, with most of the best Russian Vodkas being made from wheat while in Poland they are mostly made from a rye mash. Swedish and Baltic distillers are partial to wheat mashes. Potatoes are looked down on by Russian distillers, but are held in high esteem by some of their Polish counterparts. Molasses, a sticky, sweet residue from sugar production, is widely used for inexpensive, mass-produced brands of Vodka. American distillers use the full range of base ingredients.

nice try though

also if your gonna mix vodka with anything you could never tell the difrence between topshelf and just above rubbing alchol.

yeah ive heard that before and proved it wrong already

blind taste test
6 vodka tonics
all measured out with the same amount of vodka the same amount of tonic and the same size wedge of lime from the same circle cut
the only assistance that i was given was a list of what vodkas were used
the drinks were mixed in a different room
the bottles were kept in that room
the glasses were numbered
the key to what vodkas were in what glass was kept in the other room until i had made my decision of what vodka each drink was made with

i was able to pick out all of them

Volga V12 coupe:

volga.jpg

blind taste test
6 vodka tonics
all measured out with the same amount of vodka the same amount of tonic and the same size wedge of lime from the same circle cut
the key to what vodkas were in what glass was kept in the other room until i had made my decision of what vodka each drink was made with

Yea who are you trying to kid? Their is a huge difference in well and top shelf spirits, even when mixed. Well alcohol and say Smirnoff. The difference isn't much, but any real vodka drinker can tell. Well and a good $40 bottle, if you can't tell the difference, your just dumb. Frankly I think getting drunk off good vodka gives me a more pleasant buzz then shit, well, bar vodka. And now I will also be looking for the brand Civicious mentioned.

And now I will also be looking for the brand Civicious mentioned.
you might not want to do that

www.KCDrinker.com

Purchased a Brita water pitcher and several filters. $28.99 USD
Purchased ten bottles of 1.75 liter Viaka vodka. $90.00 USD (10 percent case discount, counting tax)

So here we are with ten vile bottles of booze. The first smell of this foul wanna-be Russian concoction made all test subjects want to give up drinking for a long, long time; like, two hours at least. But on they went, up for the challenge of damaging livers.
Unfortunately, the first tasting stage went far worse than the initial smelling judgment. If the initial recorded comments of the smell resembling rotten potatoes soaked in ancient boiling urine weren't enough to keep the booze connoisseurs from nipping at the vodka, the taste was surely a good sign that only the poorest quality beverage was chosen. As a small test, it was discovered that Viaka was not flammable, but the drinker of the supposed vodka was highly flammable. . . sorry about that, Fox. We'll set you up with a hair appointment at Apollo. They can do wonders with transplanting back hair.

Vodka Facts

nice try though

yeah ive heard that before and proved it wrong already

blind taste test
6 vodka tonics

not gonna argue with you, but I spent 6 years of my life bartending in vegas...... so yes real vodka is made from potatoes, and you passing a blind test on vodkas I'd have to see with my own eyes. I couldn't count the number of times I put a vodka other than grey goose in a drink and no one noticed the diffrence or thought it was the best drink ever.

everyones an expert. who the fuck cares? we all drink for the same reason anyways.

to get drunk.

goose is a decent mid grade vodka at best... much like Belvedere people drink it because it is expensive and they have been led to believe, through good advertising / product placement / endorsement, that it is the best shit out there.... goose and belvedere are top shelf ONLY because they have been priced as such... they do not stack up in head to head comparisons... Smirnoff Triple distilled is actually better than belvedere and on par with goose... belvedere is on par with stoli...
its just like why absolute is one of if not the highest selling vodka out there (their marketing is fucking amazing... even though their vodka tastes like lighter fluid)... people order goose because it makes them feel important / sophisticated / like a baller / etc...
people who like vodka and know what good vodka is generally do not like goose... goose is smooth but it doesnt have anything else to offer... it doesnt taste like much of anything

vodka is my drink of choice... i know vodka
i couldnt tell you the difference between gins, rums, whiskeys, or most beers for that matter (ie: bud light vs coors light, or petes wicked vs magic hat)...

i do not doubt for a second that there were people who did not know that you made their drink with something other than what was ordered... and i do not argue that SOME mixed drinks it is almost impossible to tell what it was made with... but for someone who really is a vodka drinker its not hard to tell the difference between vodkas

make some mixed drinks
make one with some well shit (ie: Dubra, etc)
make one with some bottom shelf shit (ie: Absolute, etc)
make one with make some with some decent mid grade vodka (ie: Smirnoff Triple Distilled, etc)
make one with a super premium vodka (ie: Turi, Pravda, Level, etc)

Ciroc was intentionally left off of that list for 2 reasons
1- it is actually closer related to a grappa than a vodka (its made from grapes)
2- it wouldnt be fair to compare it to mere mortal vodkas (ciroc is THE SHIT)

if you cant tell the difference your taste buds most likely have been removed

Last edited:
I agree with E. Like usual actually. Face the fact that most people are idiots and dont know good vodka from rubbing alcohol. Not to say that I don't drink well but I def know the difference. And thank you for poutting Level on the top shelf list. I cant tell you how many times I've been at the store and friends buy goose over Level, against my opinion, because it costs more "so it must be better".

It's funny. Last night I bought a bottle of Hangar One (B's favorite) and actually never wound up drinking it. Now its down at school and all i can do is wonder. Whatever. I'll get to it eventually.

the trip to st. petersburg was unforgetable and easily ranks up there on craziest trips i have taken ever. the planning was along the lines of the time tony, justin, and i went to canada. We left on the train with tickets to there but none for getting back. We go and see the Winter palace with it's amazing art collection. van gogh, mattisse, picasso, pissaro, monet, manet, da vinci, rembrandt to name a few, makes me want to be an art thief. We also saw one of the members of the rolling stones as they played a freee show for the city the day before. it was the bass player or the drummer. He had lots of security, i didn't realize who it was until he had past. we saw him pass us another time though while in the museum. In the evening we go to Natasha's brothers house and eat a great grand dinner in their tiny apartment. then it was off to a small town about an hour out of the city to sleep.

We get to the house and it is similar to how our house was. Well taken care of and plenty of room for all of us, BUT no shower and the septic system doesn't digest toilet paper. I think no problem we are most likely going to leave tomorrow, i can survive two day without a shower. In the morning we leave and head back to the city. we first go to the train station to buy tickets to return, in hindsight i don't know why this wasn't the first thing we did. We find there are no open seats on trains to yaroslavl or to moscow which was our original plan. With some creative thinking i mention we should find tickets to another city that was close to yaroslavl.

There is an open berth on a train to kostrama which were in our plans to visit anyway. The train leaves tomorrow so we get another day in st. petersburg. We take this oppourtunity to take a canal tour and then see Swan Lake in the evening. It was a great show and tickets were only 4 dollars. during thistime natasha and jack visit with an aunt they haven't seen in 14 years. We wait after the show for 45 minutes and are greeted by jack yelling for us that we need to run since we have some subway jumping to do before ctaching the last train to Pavloskya the small village where we sayed the night before.

THis night there is a way to wash ourselves. two basins, Warm water and a sink. Good enough for me i've been hiking before this is more than i've gotten there. not to mention i am pretty dirrrrrty after sleeping on a train and two days walking/running around st. petersburg with all my stuff in a pack on my back. I use the meager facilities there the best i can. Not clean but much better, in my opinion. The next morning we go to Pushkin home of the great russian poet to explore the summer palace ground of Catherine the great. Really fancy place. she had a small pyramid built, a lake, crazy buildings for her and the people around her to enjoy.

After it is nearly time to catch our train to visit kostrama. We get there with plenty of time and use some to buy food for the ride. The train is nothing special it's fun using a sleeper car. I can see and agree it's the best way to travel. around 11pm we go to bed. At 6 in the morning i am sudenly woken up and jack informs me that natasha has been sick with a migraine and ill effects of that all night. She waited til we had only 5 minutes to leave the train to deicde that we should abort going to kostrama and get off at yaroslavl. I am in a tp bunk so i can't do much until people are done doing things below me. I am the last on the train the conductor comes and tells me in russian that i need to get off now i don't get the idea till i hear the rest of the group yelling my name. I grab all my stuff, fortunately since i am organized and run out. the funniest part i get off and natasha asked where is the food i bought. I tell her it's ok i forgot it, but i have everything that is important.

She tells me to go back and get it. . . I run and get it. then we take the bus back to where we are staying to clean up and relax at our psuedo-home.

that sums up the trip much was spent running frantically around trying to figure things out. We managed to do everything we really wanted and the peices fell exactly where they needed to but sometime we didn't knwo until 2 minutes before. I thoroughly enjoyed it and won't ever forget it.

Sounds like an adventure man! As long as you had fun, that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

Back