Grinding a manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d17type-R

Doc Brown says
Here's something I wanted to try for fun...

My stock manifold onmy 1.7 SOHC has really tiny holes and what look like sleeves.... I thought of taking a Die Grinder and smoothing out the flow that goes into it. It's just something to try in my spare time... sort of a "Hey, I wonder what would happen if" sort of deal.

I have researched it a little and from what I found... an aftermarket Cat will only yield a possible gain of a whopping 1HP
(this information comes from my buddy's 93 Accord Sedan with an H22A swap done: he has the laptop set up in the car and we measured it using both the Chrome and Uberdata programs before and after. so I think it's fair to say that spending money on a supposed "High-Flow" Cat is a big waste especially in my application.

So with that said, before I go and grind this thing can anyone forsee any error codes popping up? I'll re-iterate that I only want to try grinding the inlet ports of the stock manifold. The manifold had the 2 O2 sensors (one before and one after)

That's why it's such a pain in my ass to find an aftermarket CAT at a non-rape price point

I appreciate any and all input.

Back