grinding into forth

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

9inch

i have a 88 crx w/ a b16a swap and the car runs great, but when i shift into forth gear it grinds everytime. i know i have the clutch down all the way. the only time it doesn't grind into forth is if i shift really slowly, way slow. is my clutch going bad? i never replaced the clutch when i put the new motor in, but there is only about 1,000 miles on the motor since i have had it. i purchased the motor from hmotorsonline.com and they average 30-35 thousand i think. what could be the problem?

sounds like a synchro gone bad or some other internal malfunction, i hope you got some sort of warranty or something man

i have that same problem except it happens with my 3rd gear. anyone with any input and is there something that can be done?

im not very good with this kind of stuff....where do the synchros fall and are they spendy to fix? any help is appreciated!

You're probably better off just replacing the tranny.

Originally posted by Jeef@Dec 19 2004, 03:13 PM
You're probably better off just replacing the tranny.
[post=434462]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd rather rebuild what I have that way I would know what I have. Buying another used tranny is still a crapshoot.

Either way. One thing if its a small grind I have found a fresh fluid change with honda mtf can help delay the problem. It worked on my old civics tranny.

where is going to be the best place to find a tranny online for my b16a? i bought the engine form hmotorsonline.com and they donl't sell trannys alone.

Originally posted by 9inch@Dec 20 2004, 09:09 PM
where is going to be the best place to find a tranny online for my b16a? i bought the engine form hmotorsonline.com and they donl't sell trannys alone.
[post=435160]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, I have bought just a b16 tranny from steve, maybe its cause Im a local buyer and have bought a couple motors and a few other things, such as the tranny im refering to.

i would call h motors, your warranty is prob long gone, but you could try to tell him what happened and see what he can do...

unexperienced should NOT rip the tranny apart without help...

syncros are prob a cheap part, but the labor for tranny removal, and then the actual rebuild is what gets ya

try changing the fluid for something better

What kind of tranny fluid are you using or haven't you change it. I would try putting some syncromish fulid in your tranny first before doing major work to it. Dump 2 quarts of syncromish fluid in your tranny after you dump the old ones out, You should be able to find them at any parts store and it might take a few days for your 4th to go in smooth if this is the case.

you can just punctuate the shift from third to forth and give your tranny some more life....i have a d16a6 tranny that grinds like a biatch into third. you just need to realize what work your synchro is doing. it's slowing your input shaft down to the wheel speed at your rpm. which means if you shift out of third at 6500 and catch fourth at 4 grand your tranny is slowing it down that much if you shift quickly. try tapping your clutch twice in between that shift or just slowing down that shift to fourth. i have had my tranny grind since dec 2nd and i don't want to change it unitl it's warm so as long as you're not grinding you shouldn't lose that gear. i just need to hold a second to let the revs drop when i shift into third. this will work, but if you are anxious you can double clutch. if you are in neutral and blip it, the revs will drop faster than if you just hold the shift a few seconds. so shift from third, stop at neutral, blip the throttle, then shift the fourth. works fine with my 3rd gear grind.

hope this helps

yeah that's not your clutch it's your fourth gear synchro dying....results from quick shifts into 4th from third. that's why i hacked my stock shift rather than using a short shifter. you will either need tranny work done, or if you can control yourself. just drive it like i said and you might last till it's warm out to swap it.

if you got cash go to www.gearspeed.com if not change the fluid and use synchromesh lube and the lucas additive....this should help save your tranny until you have $$$ to buy another one....i have used the same things on cable b16 tranny( does not make the noise anymore)
good luck merry xmas

Sounds like the syncro for sure mang...

The small inner teeth on the syncro, over time, wear out (become rounded) and a few bad shifts at high RPMs might actually snap off one of the teeth. This need to be addressed.

In terms of replace or rebuild....I vote for rebuild. B-series syncros are in pairs except for 5th. Meaning, if your fourth gear sync is shot, you will need to replace 3rd and 4th. The part will cost you around the $150-$200 US. While your in there, you might as well replace some bearings and get a new clutch if you were thinking of doing one eventually (heres your chance). But the labour for tranny work is always expensive.

I did the 3+4 sync, replaced EVERY bearing in the tranny, new clutch disk and topped it up with REDLINE tranny fluid this past summer and spent (with tax and labour) around $1600 cdn. You dont have to go as wild as that, but I figured what the fuck...save on labour if you do everything at once.......

And REDLINE tranny fluid is the absolute only thing that will ever be put in my car...period. Give it a shot...

peace.

ok at 1600 you got ripped off. i just frinished rebuild a cyrsler 606 auto tranny ( the torque conveter ran me 200 alone) i replaced every single moving parts seal alike and the total cost me under 700 canadian. dealers charge tripple what my cost on parts are so if anyone would like to get new syncros pm me and i will get you a price on the parts that is usally way better than a dealer. If you neede help pm i can walk you through it, a manual tranny is a super easy item to work on, just like any other aspect of your car get a manual before you start.

hey dude.......I forgot to mention on that bill were a few extras as well.....
Here's how the bill went:

Honda Oil filter: $7.85
4L 5W30 Oil: $14.00
1 Drain Gasket: $0.55

Upper Rad hose: $44.45
Lower Rad hose: $38.05
4L Coolant: $12.50

1 ITR Clutch Disk: $186.63
2L Redline tranny oil: $30.00

1 Bearing: $37.79
1 Bearing: $68.04
1 Bearing: $20.84
1 Bearing: $60.41
1 Nut Hex: $6.88
1 Oil Seal: $8.30
1 Oil Seal: $9.61
1 Oil Seal: $12.71

1 3rd/4th Syncro: $321.23

=$879.84
+GST/PST
=$1011.86
Thats the parts only...All OEM Honda parts.
+Labour

6 Hours@ $74.00/hour
=$444 + Tax
=$510.60

=$1522.46 cdn

So that figure minus the rad hoses and coolant.

This is not from a Honda Dealership either. I get all my work done from Ken @ IPC (Import Performance Center).....It's a local shop that only services Honda/Acura. He's by far the best mechanic for Honda's in the GTA.

Back