Ground the v-tec??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mozzandherb

There's a guy in my class who has a B16 and he said he recently grounded his v-tec wire and hooked it up to a switch that he can control the v-tec on and off with the switch. Now I'm not doubting that this can easily be done, but is it a good idea? What are some of the problems that might happen if this is done?

youll get a code 21 (or is it 22...im too lazy to look it up) if the switch is turned off. thats about it. VTEC wont engage when it should, and you will get a CEL. it is definitely possible to do, i just dont know why you would do it. basically you are setting a toggle switch between the sensor and the ECU, when its disconnected (switch off) the VTEC wont hit, and a CEL will pop up. when its connected (switch on) itll run like normal.

not as much as smart shifting would

Quoted post[/post]]
not as much as smart shifting would
^ :withstupid:
Your gas isn't disappearing because of VTEC, it's disappearing when people stay in VTEC at regular 40mph cruising.
The switch is easy to wire up, i don't know about any grounding it, we just hooked up the horn button wire to the solenoid.
I wouldn't do it tho, we did it for testing only.
Once i disconnected my VTEC to see how much slower it was without it :cry:
:cry:
b16-VTEC=d16z6

Yea, you don't ground the solenoid. It's already grounded. The 1 wire coming from the solenoid gets +12v DC to activate vtec.

Back