Gsr overbore

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Goldberg

Ok so i plan on a gsr engine and what i want to know is since i want to keep it as reliable as possbile, but still build it the way i want. Is a 85 mm decent could i run a little more? Cause i was looking at the over bore thread and he has it all the way to 87. So basically is 85mm good enough could i run more or would it be unreliable?

Do you plan on sleeving the block? Because that is the only way you can bore the cylinder to 85mm. On a stock block the most that you would want to go would be 82mm.

honda only recommends a maximum overbore of .25mm, but do as you wish.

bore.gif

the b20 runs an 84mm bore on stock block sleeves, so i dont think that would be an unreasonable overbore. pushing beyond that is gonna start weakening cylinder walls, and probably isnt a good idea without a sleeved block. but if your planning on spending the $ to rebuild the whole bottom end, the 800 bucks it costs to get a good sleeving and boring job is definitely worth it.

ummm, the b20 has completely different sleeves than the gsr does. try taking a stock gsr sleeve to 84mm and see how much material, if any, is left.

:withstupid:

Good luck going to 84mm on a stock GSR sleeve.

On the original question- if you resleeve your block, you can go to 85mm with no problems on the street. 85.5mm is as far as I would go on a street build- 84.5mm max if you're boosting.

Ok yes i am planning on spending the money to resleeve it, and rods pistions everything. I am building and all motor gsr. So 85 takes it then.

Originally posted by Goldberg@Apr 19 2004, 02:59 PM
Ok yes i am planning on spending the money to resleeve it, and rods pistions everything. I am building and all motor gsr. So 85 takes it then.

Cool. Good luck!

Yes you can go with an 85mm bore. But do you want to be able to rebuild it if you have some damage? I would go with an 84 or 84.5 that way if you have some cylinder wall damage you have the material to work with to bore it out again.

Now for another Q, i am reading all these post about using ls rods and stuff etc. Would it be better to keep it aftermarket gsr spec or something different?

Originally posted by 97CTR+Apr 20 2004, 06:42 AM-->
Yes you can go with an 85mm bore. But do you want to be able to rebuild it if you have some damage? I would go with an 84 or 84.5 that way if you have some cylinder wall damage you have the material to work with to bore it out again.

Rebuild room is good. I've been at 84.5mm (stock sleeve) and 85mm (Golden Eagle), and now the current build is sitting at 85.5mm. I figure I've got one, maybe two rebuilds left in the block if I'm lucky.

:blink:

Goldberg
@Apr 20 2004, 11:27 PM
Now for another Q, i am reading all these post about using ls rods and stuff etc. Would it be better to keep it aftermarket gsr spec or something different?

Using LS rods in a longer stroke application or using LS rods to be stronger? If you're reading about using LS rods in a slightly stroked application, you have to use the LS crank with them. The GSR pistons won't mount up exactly on the LS rods- the rods are different thicknesses. You'll have to go to custom pistons for that, if you don't want to modify the stock LS rods.

If you're talking about more strength, go aftermarket. The people swapping in LS rods for more block strength are the D block guys. LS rods just happen to be the same length as the D16 rods, and have the same journal size on the crank as the D16, so lots of budget D series turbo guys like to drop them in. This doesn't work for your B block. Go aftermarket for stronger rods on your GSR.

Ok so just go all after market gsr everything? Aight cooo. Cant wait to run when i eventually get finished. See what kinda numbers i can get outa a all motor gsr.

You can make 200whp+ easy with all aftermarket internals on a GSR block.

Back